Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WinCNC problems

hey cammers,

while running a job (in this case, all I am trying to do is resurface a 12"x9" board) winCNC freezes up halfway through. two days ago it froze up and then wouldn't re-open. I got a "PCI 33" type error, so I opened up the desktop an re-seated the wincnc card. Everything seemed fixed until today. I've run the current job five times and it freezes up right in the middle. Then the visual control panel (GUI screen) is completely non-responsive. I can't move the gantry, stop the job, or even exit the program. I am forced to ctrl-alt-delete and close it via task manager. once I restart the program, all looks good again. I initialize, router home, set-up the job, hit execute and get the same problem. thank god it's not in the middle of some complicated carve or i'd be pretty POed. furthermore, i noticed about a week ago that I couldn't "pause" jobs, only abort them. seemed strange, but maybe related.

also, kind of weird, while the job it running i get a sense that it's about the freeze because the laser cross-hairs flicker on and off for a moment every 30 secs or so.

all together, I'm pretty frustrated. my $11k machine is performing like a $1k machine. barf. Icing on the cake is i was psyched to show off this baby to my visiting dad. He's an old school woodworker that now thinks I paid for a ridiculously expensive paper weight.

thoughts? suggestions?

**edit** of note, the program I am running is essentially a copy of mick martin's spoilboard prgm. it's run fine before and it's super basic. but that's the only thing out of the ordinary i can think of. it looks mostly like this:

G90 [Absolute Mode]
    M5 [router off]
    L21 [Turn off soft limits]
    L91 Z1 [Raise Z 1 inch]
    G0 X0 Y0 [go to X0 y0]
    S10000 [ SET SPINDLE SPEED RPM ]
    M3 [Turn router on]
    G4D4 [Pause 4 seconds]
    L91 Z-1 [lower z 1 inch: to top of board]
    F200 XY [feedrate 700 IMP]
    F30 Z [feedrate 30 IMP for z]
    G1 [feedmove]
    L91 Z-.01 [lower 10 thousands inch]
    G92Z0 [set z zero]
    L92 [saze Z0]
    Y12
    L91 X.4
    Y0
    L91 X.4
    G53 Z0
    M5
    Last edited by beemerrin; 12-26-2021, 01:39 PM.
    Stinger 1, recoil lathe, 3.5 hp router, laser engraver, FTC

"I cut that board twice and it's still too short!" ~ the carpenter's lament

Many along with me are cautious to help if insults,,, even if well meant are a method to evoke a response.

basically if you can articulate the problem and stick to that, we may be able to articulate a solution.
    Last edited by james mcgrew; 12-26-2021, 02:54 PM.
    James McGrew
    CAMaster ATC 508
    The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
    https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Ps there has been some discussions on using Micks program, have you searched the subject
      James McGrew
      CAMaster ATC 508

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Originally posted by james mcgrew View Post
        Many along with me are cautious to help if insults,,, even if well meant are a method to evoke a response.

basically if you can articulate the problem and stick to that, we may be able to articulate a solution.
        I promise I am not trying insult anyone and/or evoke a response through insult.

Just a frustrated guy trying to ask for help.

Comment

I am at a Dr's office and cannot take a call. The machine and software have little to do with freezing screen. Are u getting any error wording in wincnc command screen. A syntaz error (code) could cause this. Are u running any back ground programs which may cause updates . All my cnc computers have updates turned off.

Sorry for the stiff response. i have some good reasons for this.. have u go e to camaster site >support and filled out a tech ticket also email support you want to get in early . If you call leave a.message so many call hang up then call several or.more times expecting someone to answer a phone when they are already on the phone with an owner..

Let's get you up and running.. there was some issue with these programs a while back do a search on micks program and see if you can find it
          James McGrew
          CAMaster ATC 508

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

I am not where I can check code yet an L91 code is new ro me
            James McGrew
            CAMaster ATC 508

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Thanks James, I'll dig into the history of mick's prgm... that's a curious avenue.

As for the rest:
              no wording on the wincnc screen. it freezes on the last line of code run. the only ouput it provides is: "are you sure you want to close the program while your machine is still running" when I try to X out the screen (which fails anyway).
              no background programs. my desktop is 100% dedicated to my CNC. I run nothing unrelated to the CNC. (so, this forum, adobe acrobat, vcarve, wincnc, and gmail are essentially all i do on that computer)
              not sure about updates--my desktop is pretty new (I bought the whole unit in june). I intended on keeping the OS updated via automatic updates. is this not recommended?

finally, no worries about the stiff response (I sent you a PM on the subject). the internet is rife with unhappy, angry, mean people. I promise I'm not that guy.

ps. please don't feel obligated to call me on a sunday. I was planning on calling camaster tomorrow (on a workday). my shot out to the camheads was a hopeful lazy sunday assist.

Comment

Originally posted by james mcgrew View Post
                I am not where I can check code yet an L91 code is new ro me
                yes, I was debating deleting the L91 lines of code. Coding .tap files to run is something I am trying to better understand.

Comment

Screen freezing is rare. Generally camaster sends the computers with updates turned off. I have dual screens and run programs while wincnc is running Ning on zame computer. WINCNChas a very stable platform and the Owners will not beta rest on end users or in updates. I have seen a program shut wincnc down when it wanted to update mine are.turned off
                  James McGrew
                  CAMaster ATC 508

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Check your cables look for straight pins and good connection
                    James McGrew
                    CAMaster ATC 508

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

I’d consider restoring the computer back to a date where everything was working.
                      Charlie L
                      Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
                      WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Did you find the solution?
                        No on the updates.
                        My CNC computer is not even connected to the internet.
                        Before I went to far I would create the file in Vectric and try it.

Ed Hazel

508 Cobra ATC 15 Tools

Comment

hi all!

follow-up. I wanted to close this out in order to help a future troubled soul.

As of now, my machine is running fine again. It seems it was static electricity building up in the dust collection hose and then discharging/arcing onto the router housing. These mini charges were probably sending electric charge into the signal infrastructure and disrupting the 1s and 0s. (we call them bit-flips in the biz).

Anyway, lesson learned. Ground your dust collection. Especially in the winter. and especially if you live in a dry non-humid place. I ended up wrapping bare copper 14 gauge wire around the hose in a spiral and then connecting it to an accessible exposed ground wire and copper water pipe.

no issues since this mod.

cheers and thanks nerds.

Comment

Originally posted by beemerrin View Post
                            hi all!

follow-up. I wanted to close this out in order to help a future troubled soul.

As of now, my machine is running fine again. It seems it was static electricity building up in the dust collection hose and then discharging/arcing onto the router housing. These mini charges were probably sending electric charge into the signal infrastructure and disrupting the 1s and 0s. (we call them bit-flips in the biz).

Anyway, lesson learned. Ground your dust collection. Especially in the winter. and especially if you live in a dry non-humid place. I ended up wrapping bare copper 14 gauge wire around the hose in a spiral and then connecting it to an accessible exposed ground wire and copper water pipe.

no issues since this mod.

cheers and thanks nerds.
                            that gets everyone

make sure to run a wire IN THE HOSE as well.
                            sr-24 w/ gantry lift, FTC, 1kw spindle

Comment

I too am experiencing WINCNC issues. I have deviation of the Y axis of .01 per inch on the second toolpath. I carved two circles, one within the other, stopping between them (turning off the machine) and then proceeded to cut the second circle .25/inch offset outside. The difference from one end of the Y axis to the other on a six inch circle was .06. I have discovered that if I re-initialize between tool paths, the tolerance is much closer, almost acceptable within a 12 inch long project. I am new to CNC, Camaster, and WINCNC. A few weeks in, however, I am pretty sure there must be a recalibration fix for this. I do have a schedule tech support appointment in two weeks (I am out of country), however, any ideas will be appreciated. Again, I am not software literate. I can figure some things out if I repeat and make the mistakes about 50 times through!

Comment

Working...
                              X