High-Pitched Squeal from CNC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • High-Pitched Squeal from CNC

I have an issue and I would like to get some input from the folks here.

My Stinger I is making a high pitch squeal while cutting. It's something that I think has gotten progressively worse, but at a slow enough pace that I haven't really noticed until recently. On my last project I was cutting some 1/2" plywood with a spiral compression bit in a single pass, and noticed the squeal. On my current project I was cutting some cedar last night and noticed the same squeal. I knew something was wrong since cedar is so soft, and I have cut it in the past with barely making a sound. In the attached video you can hear the squeal when the CNC slows done to make the turns on the end.

My router is about 7 years old now. Is this a sign the router is nearing its end of life? Or is there something else I should be concerned about?

Thanks for the help!
    Adam Crosswhite
    accross26@gmail.com
    CAMaster Stinger I
    FTC
    WinCNC + VCarve Pro + PhotoVCarve

When your Spindle has a bit in it and is running at say 15000 rpm does it sound silent and even pitched.

you can start spindle by entering M3 >Enter then clear command and then s15000 > Enter, once done with test enter M5> enter to shut off spindle

Hopefully it is the bit and or toolpath

They do scream like banshees once in a while
    James McGrew
    CAMaster ATC 508
    The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
    https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Ohhh I see it is a Router, Yes 7 years on a cnc is somewhat a miracle !
      James McGrew
      CAMaster ATC 508

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Once the spindle is on and the bit is spinning at full speed, around 18,000 rpm, before plunging into the piece it sounds nice and silent and even pitched. During cutting, and usually only certain portions of the toolpath, does it scream like this.

I always run on the conservative end of the feeds and speeds, so I dont think I am pushing the bit too hard. However, I have wondered if vibration due to inadequate holddown is a culprit as well. This piece was held down with a brad nail in each corner. It holds fine, but I wonder if there is some chatter to due to vibration of the piece.
        Adam Crosswhite
        accross26@gmail.com
        CAMaster Stinger I
        FTC

Comment

Nice, I am mostly a hobbyist and my use on the machine can swing widely but this girl has definitely been put to use over these 7 years.
          Adam Crosswhite
          accross26@gmail.com
          CAMaster Stinger I
          FTC

Comment

Vibration is a noise maker, !!
            James McGrew
            CAMaster ATC 508

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

What you're describing sounds more like bit squeal to me. It's usually due to the chipload being too low. Have you tried decreasing the rotation speed or increasing the feedrate?
              SR44 Stinger II, 3kw HSD Spindle, Servos, Performance Package Plus, Phenolic Table, Black Box Hurricane, Aspire

Comment

I have not tried any adjustments yet. I will do that and see if I can eliminate it.
                Adam Crosswhite
                accross26@gmail.com
                CAMaster Stinger I
                FTC

Comment

I should have added to only adjust one or the other, not both. In other words, if you increase the feedrate, leave the rotations speed the same.
                  SR44 Stinger II, 3kw HSD Spindle, Servos, Performance Package Plus, Phenolic Table, Black Box Hurricane, Aspire

Comment

Router motors were never intended to work that hard for so long, so IMHO, it's a miracle that it's still even functioning! Squealing may be bearings, but given the age of the router motor, I'll suggest you consider a replacement. If you have the big Porter Cable router, those are no longer manufactured, but the unit that Camaster provides today is the big Milwaukee which is identically sized to the older PC. There are also off-brand router motors, but I'd be hesitant to use them on a CNC machine.
                    ---
                    Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                    Festool "a good collection"
                    Stubby - lathe
                    Oneida Cyclone
                    more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
                    Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
                    Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Working...
                    X