Drilling and sanding on a rotary indexer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drilling and sanding on a rotary indexer

I'm new to rotary work. I want to start with something small and simple to start. A pen should be a good beginner project. The first step is to drill a hole down the center, the last step is to sand the finished cylinder.
    How can I get the indexer to turn like a standard lathe? It needs to run continously at a designated speed.

Thanks, Phil

While some folks have been able to get the rotary/indexer to somewhat simulate a lathe, it's not a strong point for making "spinny things" since it's not designed to rotate that way continuously. In fact, for a rotary, a pen project may very well be harder in that respect. I kinda wish that the marketing materials didn't refer to it as a lathe at all, but it stems from "ornamental lathe" which did similar work but in a manual way with a router.
    ---
    Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
    Festool "a good collection"
    Stubby - lathe
    Harvey G700 DC
    more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
    Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
    Located Bucks County PA

Comment

I’ve sanded with it. I do something like G0 A70000 and sand, and then type G0 A-70000 and sand. Rinse and repeat. The stepper motor would get burning hot. I’m sure the servo I have now will be way more performant.
      Gary
      2018 Stinger II SR-44 with GCnC WinCNC Backplane, ClearPath Servos, 3HP RM30C ATC CNCDepot Spindle, 16 Tool Carousel, Custom Automatic Height Dustboot, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
      Fusion 360
      Aspire

Comment

Working...
      X