PVC sheets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PVC sheets

Has anyone had issues getting PVC sheets local? What happened to the prices? I was getting 4x8 sheets for $65 six months ago, and now I can't get it at my local supplier, and the price I've been finding is $85 and up plus shipping. One place was $220 a sheet.
    The cost of everything is getting out of hand, and has me considering selling my machine. I just can't afford this hobby any longer.

I’m curious as to what you make from the PVC? A couple of years ago a place was going out of business and I bought (for $5) cubicle offices they had made from PVC. I’ve been trying to find a use for it ever since.

Thanks,
    Kipp
    Stinger I
    1.7kw spindle
    Performance kit
    Recoil
    Aspire 9

Comment

Everything across the board has increased significantly if it's available at all...
      I was paying $27.50 for 3/4 door grade MDF, buying units at a time and today I paid $43 a sheet and I've been waiting for it for 6 weeks from my main supplier. Regular A grade is $37 a sheet.

Home Depot has OSB board, which we use for making crates for shipping.. cost is $60 a sheet for 7/16".. up from $10

From various sales reps, I'm told to expect this for the remainder of the year... looks like a long vacation coming.
      Bruce Jeansonne
      decorativecabinets@comcast.net
      CAMaster Panther 508
      Laser Engraver
      Hurricane Vacuum
      WinCNC and VCarve Pro
      https://www.facebook.com/decorativecabinets/

Comment

Gotta pass the cost on to the customers, same as is being done to you - If you can't or won't then yeah, you'll have to rethink your business model.

You'd be hard pressed to name a commodity/material that hasn't jacked up in price and/or isn't in short supply, doesn't appear things will get better any time soon.
        Doug

Stinger 1

Comment

Today I found some 1/2"x2'x4' pieces for $33. I grabbed two of them, only because I've committed to a project.
          Fortunately, I have more solid surface than any one person should have. So, for now, I'll stick to projects that can utilize some of it.

Comment

Where do you get your solid surface from and what brand do you typically use? I have a need for some. I found somewhere locally I can get it from but they did a pretty poor job installing countertops for me so I'm not really interested in giving them any more business.
            4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
            Mister system
            Phenolic Vac table
            Hurricane Vac
            Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Y View Post
              Where do you get your solid surface from and what brand do you typically use? I have a need for some. I found somewhere locally I can get it from but they did a pretty poor job installing countertops for me so I'm not really interested in giving them any more business.
              I purchased several tons from a cabinet shop that was downsizing, and I've picked up lots of it from fabricators. One place just gives it to me to get rid of it. I have every brand made, in tons of colors and patterns, in 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4". The small scraps I have after projects, I sell to woodworkers and pen makers.
              I found one brand (I would have to look, as I can't remember which one) that has fiberglass in it. I have a stack of it in the back corner and don't use it much.

Comment

pvc pricing is tied to resin shortages... see my response on mdf availability. Most Manufacturers have had multiple price increase this year with versatex increasing twice by 9-13% 5 weeks apart as all manufacturers dependent on resin struggle with escalating costs and limited supplies. This is affecting many industries, heck try to find a new boat to buy! Fiberglass is also dependent on resin.
                Joe Alcathie
                Stinger II 4x4
                Wincnc
                Aspire 3.5
                Halainc1@gmail.com

Comment

Wilson art laminates raised 12% in two raises since January
                  James McGrew
                  CAMaster ATC 508
                  The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
                  https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

interesting.... Formica has said that they will not be doing any price increases this year.
                    Joe Alcathie
                    Stinger II 4x4
                    Wincnc
                    Aspire 3.5
                    Halainc1@gmail.com

Comment

Met with economists last week and they are projecting continued escalation of pine lumber and panels or at least holding current costs until second quarter next year. If that is the case you will continue to see upward pressure on hardwood commodities like poplar as many small feeder mills are cutting pine instead of hardwoods simply because they are making more money processing pine. Domestic grade hardwood panels are following pine as they must increase prices otherwise the mills will convert to softwood panels. Import hardwood panels are almost completey following the outrageous increases in ocean freight.
                      Joe Alcathie
                      Stinger II 4x4
                      Wincnc
                      Aspire 3.5
                      Halainc1@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by jalcathie View Post
                        pvc pricing is tied to resin shortages... see my response on mdf availability. Most Manufacturers have had multiple price increase this year with versatex increasing twice by 9-13% 5 weeks apart as all manufacturers dependent on resin struggle with escalating costs and limited supplies. This is affecting many industries, heck try to find a new boat to buy! Fiberglass is also dependent on resin.
                        I don't have any problem getting MDF. It has increased in price a bit, but I don't use it for anything I want to last.

The only resin that's been unavailable to me, is the vinyl ester. The other resins I use, are available at a 8.25% price increase across all container sizes.

If you want a boat, our local marina is stock piled, and the local manufacturers are running full tilt, and hiring new employees to keep up with production.

Now as for a new vehicle... good luck. The Chevy/Nissan dealer has only about 5 vehicles on their lot, and the Ford dealer has 7 trucks. Motorized RV manufacturers are shutting down, due to the chassis shortage. Towables, are all increasing production.

So I'm guessing that I have a fortune in solid surface for the next 12 months or so, based on the assumption that resins are going to be in short supply.

EDIT:

I just checked with my usual supplier. They have...

50- 1/4" sheets
                        34- 1/2" sheets
                        15- 3/4" sheets

I asked him to hold 15 of the 1/2" sheets for me to pick up tomorrow.
                        Last edited by Studio417; 05-18-2021, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I live close to a Ford truck plant, there are huge lots miles around stuffed with 1,000's of trucks, they even had a problem with some getting stolen so they had to hire 24/7 security at these lots. I'll take a pic of some later if I remember.
                          Whatever the cause of supply problems I don't think its production, more likely transport bottlenecks.
                          Doug

Stinger 1

Comment

The issue with the trucks is the lack of microchips (the ECM one mainly) to finish out the builds. The major auto manufacturers have thousands and thousands of 99% complete vehicles waiting for chip supply.
                            4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
                            Mister system
                            Phenolic Vac table
                            Hurricane Vac
                            Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

Hmm yeah I have heard of shortage of chips. All these vehicles drive though, not uncommon to see convoys of them being driven to temp storage, don't think a vehicle would drive or even start up without ECM, but probably something of that nature.
                              Doug

Stinger 1

Comment

Working...
                              X