I hit another jackpot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Studio417 View Post
    I'm going to stuff his wallet a little more.
    I think we should grab Studio by the ankles and shake em out!

Kudos for you!

Comment

If I were you I would be buying a lottery ticket or two…wow what luck! Its nice that you are taking care of the guy too.
      Joe Garber
      Retired, Hobbyist
      Stinger 1 SR24
      FTC
      Laser Pointer
      HSD 1.7kw Spindle
      Indexing Lathe
      WinCNC, Aspire 10.5, PhotoCarve
      Storm Vacuum
      drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
      1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10

Comment

Sounds fantastic!
        Carve him something he will love.
        Charlie L
        Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
        WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Wow...buy a lottery ticket!
          ---
          Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
          Festool "a good collection"
          Stubby - lathe
          Oneida Cyclone
          more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
          Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
          Located Bucks County PA

Comment

I hate you just a little, but that's just because I am super jealous. Congrats on the big score
            4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
            Mister system
            Phenolic Vac table
            Hurricane Vac
            Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

Well... of course I get a good deal, and now my furnace isn't working.

Went to light it Friday and it doesn't stay lit. New thermocouple and still won't stay lit.
              Had this happen quite a few years ago, and after 5 or 6 furnace guys telling me there wasn't anything wrong with it,
              and me telling them I thought it was the gas valve, I found a place that sold me the gas valve and didn't have another problem after me installing it,
              until now. We are waiting on a furnace guy to come today, no set time, and hopefully he can get us some heat. It's been raining all weekend,
              and only been about 45 degrees during the day and down below 40 at night. Damp and cold. Now I have a bit of a cold with runny nose and sore throat.

It seems nothing good, ever comes without something bad attached.

Comment

Yea I hate those damp cold ass 40's.... seems to get to the bones.
                and yea it figures with the good & bad.... hang on Ugly is around the corner ????

Comment

Be sure the igniters are clean...a little 800 abrasive paper to clean them off "sometimes" solves the not lighting or not staying lit issues with a gas furnace.
                  ---
                  Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                  Stubby - lathe
                  Oneida Cyclone
                  more...

Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
                  Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Becker View Post
                    Be sure the igniters are clean...a little 800 abrasive paper to clean them off "sometimes" solves the not lighting or not staying lit issues with a gas furnace.
                    Thanks for the tip, Jim.
                    Unfortunately, it's a standing pilot.

HVAC guy tried the transformer he thought had low voltage, and no go. He said he thought the gas valve was working because it clicked when he touched the connection to it, so he changed the thermocouple, and no go.
                    I say it's the gas valve, and he said it could be. He could change it to see, but couldn't guarantee it to work. At $517, I declined. He said the furnace was built in 1988, and the sticker on it says it was installed in 1992.
                    It's very inefficient, and our central air unit started making a squealing noise last summer, so we have a guy coming tomorrow, to give an estimate on a full system replacement. I'm sure it will be way out of our bank account's
                    ability.
                    Might just have to replace the valve and take a chance.
                    Another couple of days of being chilled to the bone.

Comment

Ah...that's indeed really old and I sure would try to avoid putting any money into it if it can be avoided. You may be surprised and get a decent deal on a new furnace...one thing to consider is that there are only a few companies that actually make them and there are multiple brands on the same stuff with varying price points. If the contractor uses the "house brand" rather than the "popular name brand", the cost can be meaningfully lower for what is essentially the same specifications and warranty. The may also have "same as cash" financing which can help keep you from draining your account.
                      ---
                      Jim Becker

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                      Stubby - lathe
                      Oneida Cyclone
                      more...

Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Becker View Post
                        Ah...that's indeed really old and I sure would try to avoid putting any money into it if it can be avoided. You may be surprised and get a decent deal on a new furnace...one thing to consider is that there are only a few companies that actually make them and there are multiple brands on the same stuff with varying price points. If the contractor uses the "house brand" rather than the "popular name brand", the cost can be meaningfully lower for what is essentially the same specifications and warranty. The may also have "same as cash" financing which can help keep you from draining your account.
                        Yeah, I can't justify dropping $517 on it, and no guarantee it will work. Even if it does, what will be next, and how long? I don't want it to give up in the middle of winter, when it's 10 below.

The guy said they carry Trane and Amana. Looking up each; they are both rated pretty good. The Amana furnace looks to be slightly lower in cost, but the A/C is about the same. However, he also said, they've had five price increases this year.
                        That worries me a little. I want something reliable, and parts readily available for it.

I guess I should have bought those lottery tickets.

Comment

Both systems at our old property are Amana and they have been rock solid. The "house brand" name for the same gear is Goodman which is the name of the manufacturer that owns the Amana HVAC products. (appliances went to Maytag)
                          ---
                          Jim Becker

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                          Stubby - lathe
                          Oneida Cyclone
                          more...

Located Bucks County PA

Comment

We had the estimate yesterday, and holy crap! Unfortunately, there is short supply on equipment, and he gave us the options for what is in stock right now.
                            He showed us options for the Trane, Amana, and Rheem. He said they are all solid companies, with great equipment. He explained all the differences and warranties.
                            The Amana was only a few hundred less than the Trane for the package (Furnace and AC). The biggest differences between the two were, the Trane has a lifetime warranty on parts, and can be transferred to a new owner once.
                            We felt that might be a good selling point when the time comes to sell. If either the exchanger or compressor on ac goes out, it's a unit replacement as opposed to repair. Our ac compressor is bad now, so that might be beneficial in the future,
                            if it happens. We will require a chimney liner since the new water heater vents through it, and the new furnace will vent through the wall. Everything will be brand new, from all wiring, disconnect box, ac lines new ac pad.
                            It comes with a 5 yr service plan with free air filters. Full duct cleaning and sanitizing. And they all come with 10 yrs labor. I realize all that was a cost, that was added into the package, but the package was the only deals they offered,
                            and come with discounts and rebates. We need heat, as the temps dropped to 31 degrees last night and same expected tonight. The space heater knocks off the extreme chill, but it's still very cold inside. My wife now
                            has a cold as well. They are coming tomorrow to install, and expected to be a full day. I hope it's running tomorrow night.
                            We could have purchased a used vehicle for this stupid thing, but I guess the plus is, we have been fortunate for about 20 years with what we have had.

I apologize for this going off the original subject, and venting.

Comment

I think that you'll find the new system to really kick up the comfort in your home compared to the old one. They have come a LONG way over the years. Enjoy!
                              ---
                              Jim Becker

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                              Stubby - lathe
                              Oneida Cyclone
                              more...

Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Working...
                              X