I hit another jackpot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • I hit another jackpot

I picked up 33 pieces of 1/2" Arctic White Corian, and 5 pieces of 1/4" of the same color, all are 2'x3', for free yesterday. I'm going back tomorrow to get at least as many in Aurora, in the same size.
    I would have got them today, but it's raining. I'm happy with what I already got, since I took all of the white. The sad thing is, there is at least 1,000 pieces, and I won't be able to get it all before they haul it away. I can't haul many at a time in a SUV.

Uhaul? Home depot Truck.... do it

Comment

Dang...that's like having a winning lottery ticket!
      ---
      Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
      Festool "a good collection"
      Stubby - lathe
      Oneida Cyclone
      more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
      Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
      Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Seriously...rent a truck, Uhaul, etc, but dont let that gold mine go to waste!!!
        Joe Garber
        Retired, Hobbyist
        Stinger 1 SR24
        FTC
        Laser Pointer
        HSD 1.7kw Spindle
        Indexing Lathe
        WinCNC, Aspire 10.5, PhotoCarve
        Storm Vacuum
        drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
        1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10

Comment

That is 3-5 k at wholesale on the lowest corian price. Damn good score. We have offal and sometimes give it away at Aspire Camp. Which we will have a Amp. Spring 2022
          James McGrew
          CAMaster ATC 508
          The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
          https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

I considered a rental truck or even a trailer, but the only Home improvement place we have is a Menards, and they don't have the rental trucks/vans. I checked with actual rental places, and no-one has a truck or van available. I checked Uhaul, and they only have the huge box truck, and they won't rent a trailer being pulled by an Explorer.
            However, I did get more yesterday, and it's been picked over pretty well. I got about the same amount, and there are a lot of 8"x4' pieces left, along with a bunch of 1/4" pieces approximately 16"x24". I looked through the 1/4" stuff, but it all had cracks down the center about half way across.
            I found a nice piece of an Emerald green swirl color. I was hoping to find more of that, but there wasn't any.
            I'm happy with what I've got, and I'm glad others were able to get some too. I might make one last check to see what's left.

Comment

Originally posted by Studio417 View Post
              I checked Uhaul, and they only have the huge box truck, and they won't rent a trailer being pulled by an Explorer.
              That's very strange...I've never had an issue renting a trailer from UHaul with a multiple vehicles including midsize SUVs including my Subaru Ascent. (5K towing limit) Their database just will not you rent one that exceeds the vehicles tow rating.
              ---
              Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
              Stubby - lathe
              Oneida Cyclone
              more...

Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
              Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Becker View Post

That's very strange...I've never had an issue renting a trailer from UHaul with a multiple vehicles including midsize SUVs including my Subaru Ascent. (5K towing limit) Their database just will not you rent one that exceeds the vehicles tow rating.
                I first looked at their website to get pricing, and it states this...

U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 60 years by saying 'yes' to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move. ")
                So I called, and when they asked what vehicle, they said no. It's company policy, and I asked about small trucks or vans, and they don't have any available. They just had a 26' box truck.

Enterprise, and Avis, also do not have anything available... nothing at all.

Comment

good excuse to buy a trailor.
                  panther 508 ATC
                  7watt laser
                  recoil

Comment

"Vally Ingtalesting".... Sad you couldn't use your vehicle for sure. The Home Depot trucks are darn inexpensive but it sounds like Menards is your only local option. Maybe a friend or acquaintance has a truck and/or truck-trailer combination that you can coax to help you out for a few shekels or adult beverages.
                    ---
                    Jim Becker

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                    Stubby - lathe
                    Oneida Cyclone
                    more...

Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Home depot is High retail short need, highest cost..
                      James McGrew
                      CAMaster ATC 508
                      The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
                      https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Originally posted by eugene View Post
                        good excuse to buy a trailor.
                        Good excuse to buy a truck. Of course that isn't going to happen either. Can't find them, and the ones I've looked at, the prices are as much as a mortgage.????

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Becker View Post
                          "Vally Ingtalesting".... Sad you couldn't use your vehicle for sure. The Home Depot trucks are darn inexpensive but it sounds like Menards is your only local option. Maybe a friend or acquaintance has a truck and/or truck-trailer combination that you can coax to help you out for a few shekels or adult beverages.
                          I wish someone I knew had a trailer or a truck, but unfortunately, none do.

I got plenty to keep me busy for a while, and I'm happy to have gotten any at all, so I'll keep an eye out for another score.

Comment

If getting the Corian for free wasn't considered a great deal, this has to be the cherry on top.

The place I got it from, said whatever wasn't taken, it would be hauled off. I got a phone call last night from the gentleman I dealt with when I picked up the Corian.
                            He said he had the remainder of Corian loaded on his trailer, and since it was already loaded, wondered if I was interested in it.
                            He said he would deliver the trailer, and when I got it unloaded, he would come back for the trailer, and no rush.
                            The trailer showed up, and I handed the gentleman $100. He tried to refuse, but I told him that it would've cost me at least that to rent a trailer or truck,
                            and his time is worth something, not to mention the gas and back breaking loading of material.
                            I now have to stack this stuff outside, because I have no room in my shop. Of course, that's a good problem in this instance.

When he comes for his trailer, I'm going to stuff his wallet a little more.

Comment

how awesome that turned out for you!!! happy for you!
                              Panther PT-404 (aluminum)
                              6 position ATC w/5hpHSD, Aspire 11/WinCNC, Recoil, Laser, Hurricane
                              near bottom of the learning curve!!

Comment

Working...
                              X