Cutting Something New - Spindle Speed for Azek Composite PVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cutting Something New - Spindle Speed for Azek Composite PVC

I need to cut some porch rail inserts out of Azek composite PVC. What is the best spindle speed to cut this 3/4" thick material at?

Perhaps a little background information about myself would help. I lost my husband 3 1/2" years ago and I have taken over running his Stinger III. Before he passed, we worked together in his woodworking business and I did all of the drawings using Aspire. He would provide me with the bit and speed information. He part was to setup and run the machine. I gained confidence and have been able to fill his shoes with the operation of the machine, but cutting this composite material is something we never did before he passed.

I have ordered the O-flute spiral bits I need. I am just not too sure at what speed to cut it at. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    --Susan
    Stinger III - SR-48
    1.7 K W HDS Spindle
    Recoil Indexing Lathe
    Performance Pro Package
    Speed Control
    Win CNC
    Aspire 8.5
    http://lambertwoodworks.com

Very sorry to hear of your loss but glad that you're keeping the business going.

I always cut foam core PVC sheet at 18k rpm at 240-300ipm with a 1/4" diameter single flute Oflute bit. 1st pass is .71 deep in a climb cut direction (you can do 2 passes to the .71 depth if you want). Second pass is the cut thru pass in a conventional cut direction. A little slower if you are using an 1/8" bit. I have a 5HP spindle on my machine.
    Wes
    Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook
    Steel 5X10 Panther
    5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
    WinCNC
    VcarvePro 9.5
    15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum

Comment

Susan, I cannot add much to Wes's suggestions however I do offer my condolence on your loss. My Wife and I both work in my shop and she does all the final sanding and finishing because she is much more patient and a perfectionist. Unfortunately she lacks the mechanical skills and confidence to run any of our machines. I wish she could because given our family histories and health she will outlive me by many years. I am sure your Husband is looking down and very pleased with you. I am very glad you shared so many thanks to you.
      Keith Hyde, Winchester, VA
      2016 Stinger 1, 1.7KW HF Spindle HSD
      Performance Package Pro, Vac, lathe, Aspire 10
      Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
      Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
      hyde.consulting@comcast.net

Comment

Thanks for the help and words of encouragement. I was able to get my pieces cut. It was a lot easier than I was expecting. I have attached a couple of photos of the finished products.

--Susan
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        Stinger III - SR-48
        1.7 K W HDS Spindle
        Recoil Indexing Lathe
        Performance Pro Package
        Speed Control
        Win CNC
        Aspire 8.5
        http://lambertwoodworks.com

Comment

Wow, Susan, they came out great…good job! Your husband would be very proud of you.
          Im so sorry for your loss.
          Joe Garber
          Retired, Hobbyist
          Stinger 1 SR24
          FTC
          Laser Pointer
          HSD 1.7kw Spindle
          Indexing Lathe
          WinCNC, Aspire 10.5, PhotoCarve
          Storm Vacuum
          drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows: