collet extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • collet extension

Could I use this in the 3kw HSD spindle? With the half inch collet?

https://www.infinitytools.com/router-collet-extensions

Or is this just for routers?
    stuart

2021 Stinger II 4ft x 4ft
    3kw spindle
    servos
    blackbox cyclone
    Jtech 7w pro laser
    air assist
    laser crosshair
    ftc
    recoil ready
    vectric

Central Texas

You will be better served by investing in longer, heavier tooling. When you use "extenders" you're most certainly introducing additional runout which is not a good thing for precision machining.
    ---
    Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
    Festool "a good collection"
    Stubby - lathe
    Oneida Cyclone
    more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
    Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
    Located Bucks County PA

Comment

NO NO and Even a BIG Hell no,

forst ask yourself Why ? when i do DEEEEP cutting i look for bits to accomodate the depth or a strategy for doing this
      James McGrew
      CAMaster ATC 508
      The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
      https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Ok thanks y'all. Really appreciate it. Any great sources for extra long bits? Toolstoday? USRoutertools?
        stuart

3kw spindle
        servos
        blackbox cyclone
        Jtech 7w pro laser
        air assist
        laser crosshair
        ftc
        recoil ready
        vectric

Central Texas

Comment

I check usroutertools first and then the internet second. I've bought some longer bits from them that met my needs but they don't have a super large selection.
          4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
          Mister system
          Phenolic Vac table
          Hurricane Vac
          Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

Remember to ask for your owners discount at US
            Charlie L
            Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
            WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Many thanks again y'all. So the reason for my question was watching this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ojCcb-7GA

Does there already exist some handy dandy calculator / optimizer for determining the maximum depth and slope of a dish like this given the dimensions of your cutter and spindle? Or do I just have to tackle this with trail and error / math?

I'd love to be able to enter into a calculator the cutter stickout, cutting length, and dimensions of the collet and spindle to generate a no-go zone for a dish.
              cheers
              stuart

3kw spindle
              servos
              blackbox cyclone
              Jtech 7w pro laser
              air assist
              laser crosshair
              ftc
              recoil ready
              vectric

Central Texas

Comment

When it comes to deeper bits i have had to look at machinist bit sites. i have some 4" LOC 6" oa taper ballnose.

If I was doing bowls i would use a .375 ballnose with a 8 % or less stepover

The thing is to know enough of the simple math to cut

deep enough and not have collisions with the collet and the wood yor bits and wood, never thought about a calc or App but when it comes to the cnc I would always check my own math anyway

I have seen quite a few worthless apps and calcs come and go mostly go
                James McGrew
                CAMaster ATC 508

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Bowl effect using large ballnose, Note the clearance space (vcarved+ so the bit had clearance)
                  Attached Files
                  James McGrew
                  CAMaster ATC 508

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Originally posted by james mcgrew View Post
                    When it comes to deeper bits i have had to look at machinist bit sites. i have some 4" LOC 6" oa taper ballnose.
                    Thanks a lot, really appreciate it. What machinist bit site are you finding a 4" LOC 6" OA taper ballnose at? I had a look at a few sites that I know of and can't find any with that big of a LOC.
                    many thanks and take care
                    stuart

3kw spindle
                    servos
                    blackbox cyclone
                    Jtech 7w pro laser
                    air assist
                    laser crosshair
                    ftc
                    recoil ready
                    vectric

Central Texas

Comment

One other factor for longer tooling is clearing the material...your Gantry has a maximum distance between the bottom of the collet and the machine table plus spoilboard. Your tooling has to be able to clear over top of your material during tool measurement and rapids...that clearance can be set to a minimum in your software/design, but there's still a hard limit with available space. I ran into this big-time when doing some joinery cuts on my SR-44 whereby I was physically limited to about a 1.5" LOC plus a tiny bit below the collet because of material thickness on top of my spoilboard. For my application, these mortises worked ok, but ideally, they should have been about an inch deeper.

I do use a .375" diameter end mill with a 1.75" LOC for deeper cutting when it's possible, such as for cutting out guitar bodies or trimming the ends of thicker charcuterie boards.
                      ---
                      Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                      Festool "a good collection"
                      Stubby - lathe
                      Oneida Cyclone
                      more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
                      Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
                      Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Magnate.net has the best assortment of any type of bit that I have found. I have purchased many of their ornamental bits such as different sized barley twist etc. I purchased a long bowl bit which is basically a four inch shank with a ball type carbide bit for bowls but I have never used it. They are definitely the best place for odd or legacy type bits. When I first starting using my recoil I was really into the potential uses for projects so I bought hundreds of dollars of bits from them. Then other projects for family and friends came along mostly furniture stuff and it all went on the back burner.

I find the problem with the recoil is when you use it regularly it is fairly easy but when you get away from it for a few months then it is like staring over to remember how to think about the design, wrapping and toolpaths. I am trying to get back into it now but I am back to square one with rounding etc. The other issue is that I can't help but think that I can do much of what I want on my regular wood lathe much faster but I paid good money for the recoil and I want to use it and I am retired and there is no reason to hurry. One thing that the recoil can do that me and my regular lathe cannot is repeatability. If I had to produce in a timely fashion, I think I would default to my regular lathe but I do not so it is moot. The flat CNC work and the recoil is two different machines and thought processes IMHO and there is a lot to learn and remember about both. FWIW.
                        Keith Hyde, Winchester, VA
                        2016 Stinger 1, 1.7KW HF Spindle HSD
                        Performance Package Pro, Vac, lathe, Aspire 10
                        Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
                        Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
                        hyde.consulting@comcast.net

Comment

Working...
                        X