Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • colorcore feeds and speeds for sign

​ Hi there,
    Hope y'all are well. I have a 12" x 12" 3/4 inch piece of colorcore that I'm going to make into a triangle-shaped sign.

I use g wizard for help with feeds and speeds, but this will be my first time working with colorcore on the cnc so I want to double check with the more experienced folks here. I'm referencing the rpm from the manufacturer but I have a feeling that it's too fast.

For the text on the sign, I'm going to use this bit:https://www.toolstoday.com/v-14988-57361-k.html

I am not doing v carving for any of this.
    aspire settings for text.jpg
    aspire settings for text2.jpg

For an outline, I am going to use this tool: https://www.toolstoday.com/v-14078-51427-k.html

aspire settings for outline.jpg

aspire settings for outline2.jpg

And the same bit for the cutout.

aspire settings for cutout.jpg

aspire settings for cutout2.jpg
    I am not yet mentally ready to do the round over on both sides using the cnc. I plan to do that on the router table. Triton 3 1/4 HP router. Just set the speed to as slow as it'll go?​

Thank you very much for any help.

all the best and take care
    stuart

2021 Stinger II 4ft x 4ft
    3kw spindle
    servos
    blackbox cyclone
    Jtech 7w pro laser
    air assist
    laser crosshair
    ftc
    recoil ready
    vectric

Central Texas

King has a document on thier website on cutiing starboard with CNC. It covers speeds and feeds. They also have some youtube vids covering the same info. Google it.
    O flute upcut bits are what I use. The stuff cuts like butter.
    Last edited by gtgmarine; 02-27-2022, 06:20 PM.
    Pete
    ----------
    2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1kW Spindle
    Performance Pkg w/Gantry Lift, FTC
    Phenolic Top, Storm Vac, JTech Laser
    VCarve Pro 11.0
    www.gotoguysmarine.com

Comment

Wallace,

Here are my notes for King Colorcore from my experiences. I love to cut it because it does such a nice clean and easy cut. Much of my work has been V carving but it also includes cutout on all projects. If you do use V-carve toolpaths then a pointy bit leaves plastic hair pieces. Easy to pop off with your fingers. However, I prefer to use a V bit which is either a flat tip or rounded tip. They clean up the hair themselves.
      • External color layer 0.050 thick, last time I used a start depth of 0.030 inch and it looked good.
      • Upcut works well even on top edge, down really clogs up.
      • Spindle turning about 11,500 and ipm set about 250 to 300
      So, I actually have fewer notes than I recalled. Anyway, it cuts like butter. Nice curls come off the material as you are cutting. I kept the rpm slow to not heat up the plastic. I used a small vacuum to hold the sheet flat so my profile outlines were done using an onion skin.

Regarding the roundovers. Shaper will work great. It took me a while to get dialed in for the right settings on the roundovers. I put notes in my Vectric tool data so I always know the offset and depths that work.

For 3/16 radius I select the vector, profile inside or outside depending on the direction, 0.18 depth, -0.105 offset
      Sometimes the minus offset needs to be a positive value. Just try one and if it is on the inside of the vector, then change to the other.

For 1/4 radius, 0.24 depth, -0.07 offset

For what it is worth....
      Charlie L
      Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
      WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Thanks Pete. I found the documents you're talking about shortly after posting my question. I'll look at their videos too. Cheers.

Thanks Charlie. I hope my brain graduates soon to be able to do roundovers / chamfers on the cnc but it's not quite there yet. I'll refer back to this when I'm ready. I'll try your settings on a scrap part of my piece before I cut the real thing. Thanks so very much again.

cheers y'all
        stuart

3kw spindle
        servos
        blackbox cyclone
        Jtech 7w pro laser
        air assist
        laser crosshair
        ftc
        recoil ready
        vectric

Central Texas

Comment

Another question regarding this job.

Do you think I could get away with running this job (it’s less than a foot square) without dust collection? I know it’s best with dust collection but I’m always looking for jobs I can do when the rest of my household is sleeping. My 5hp dust collector makes it sound like there’s a jet outside your window.
          stuart

3kw spindle
          servos
          blackbox cyclone
          Jtech 7w pro laser
          air assist
          laser crosshair
          ftc
          recoil ready
          vectric

Central Texas

Comment

I have an air wand to plow off excessive dust. i run without DC just do not let machine run alone
            James McGrew
            CAMaster ATC 508
            The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
            https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Yes. It creates plastic chards everywhere anyways. Not so much of a dust. It may look like it snowed.
              Charlie L
              Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
              WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Thanks y'all. My daughters love the movie Frozen so I bet they'd love seeing the garage turn into a winter wonderland.
                stuart

3kw spindle
                servos
                blackbox cyclone
                Jtech 7w pro laser
                air assist
                laser crosshair
                ftc
                recoil ready
                vectric

Central Texas

Comment

Yea, cutting plastic materials creates an interesting and fun cleanup things because it sticks to "everything" in some cases due to static charge. Same with cutting resin filled materials...fluffy and sticky stuff! I'm still finding "stuff" from something I cut months ago.
                  ---
                  Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                  Festool "a good collection"
                  Stubby - lathe
                  Oneida Cyclone
                  more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
                  Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
                  Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Working...
                  X