Upcut/ Downcut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Upcut/ Downcut

I tried something today that a machinist friend and I discussed and it worked very well so I though I would pass it along.
    I cut polycarbonate and have always used upcut spiral bits. I use a LOT of screws to hold the material down to the spoilboard to reduce vibration from pulling of the material.
    Today I tried using the upcut for the roughing pass and then switched to a spiral downcut for the 0.03" finish pass and I was able to use 1/3 of the amount of screws for hold-down and the edge finish was the best I've had yet. Since the relief was already there from the roughing pass and I use 2 air blow nozzles, the chips cleared with ease even with the downcut.
    Hope this is useful. Thanks, John
    John Stanley Stinger II 3'x4', FTC, Laser, 1.7 Kw HSD w/ AB 523 SVC drive, V Carve Pro 8, WinCNC

A vacuum hold down system + tooling made for cutting plastic = zero screws + the best edge you've ever seen come off of your tool.

-B
    IBILD Solutions - High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Comment

Originally posted by BradyWatson View Post
      A vacuum hold down system + tooling made for cutting plastic = zero screws + the best edge you've ever seen come off of your tool.

-B
      John, I second what Brady is saying. When I flipped those speaker rings to machine the other side...I used 1/8" aluminum dowels and reset my X0Y0 to be right below one of the inlets for the vacuum hold down. I sent you a response PM, hopefully it went through and you got it.

Did you glue your spoil board to your plenum by chance?
      Eddie McCullough
      Monroe, NC

CAMaster Stinger III

Comment

Eddie,
        Here is a picture of the last batch I did. Parts are 3/8" polycarb; laying side by side. Due to geometry (curves) and ramps (tabs) speed is limited. I roughed at 100 IPM, 10K with an upcut single flute O flute and finished -0.030" with a new Onsrud Super O downcut running 25 IPM @ 10K. I checked run out 1" from collet with an indicator. It was 0.002" max static on the PC 3.25.
        I have run speed/ feed tests from 10 IPM to 100+ but don't have enough straightaway to get to that speed much.
        This is about as good a finish as I have been able to achieve. Any ideas are welcome.
        Thanks,
        John
        Attached Files
        John Stanley Stinger II 3'x4', FTC, Laser, 1.7 Kw HSD w/ AB 523 SVC drive, V Carve Pro 8, WinCNC

Comment

Originally posted by hefty View Post
          Eddie,
          Here is a picture of the last batch I did. Parts are 3/8" polycarb; laying side by side. Due to geometry (curves) and ramps (tabs) speed is limited. I roughed at 100 IPM, 10K with an upcut single flute O flute and finished -0.030" with a new Onsrud Super O downcut running 25 IPM @ 10K. I checked run out 1" from collet with an indicator. It was 0.002" max static on the PC 3.25.
          I have run speed/ feed tests from 10 IPM to 100+ but don't have enough straightaway to get to that speed much.
          This is about as good a finish as I have been able to achieve. Any ideas are welcome.
          Thanks,
          John
          John,
          I think those look pretty good for only using a single flute. Have you tried a two flutes or more for your finish pass? Also, I noticed that I think the .03" allowance was a little too much, but I didn't do very much testing with the finish pass. When I left .03", it almost seemed like the flutes (I used a 3 flute low helix finisher) had too much material to take off.

I'll try to take up close pictures like you did.
          Eddie McCullough
          Monroe, NC

CAMaster Stinger III

Comment

No, I just use the one that Martin @ Onsrud recommended. I used to do a 0.015 finish pass and he indicated 0.030 was prefereable to load the bit properly and reduce susceptabilty to heat. I can't remember if it helped but it didn't hurt so I stayed with it.
            I will look to see if they have a 2 flute cutter for polycarb.
            Xray, Gary- any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by hefty View Post
              No, I just use the one that Martin @ Onsrud recommended. I used to do a 0.015 finish pass and he indicated 0.030 was prefereable to load the bit properly and reduce susceptabilty to heat. I can't remember if it helped but it didn't hurt so I stayed with it.
              I will look to see if they have a 2 flute cutter for polycarb.
              Xray, Gary- any thoughts?
              I received the opposite information from Onsrud. Bob at Onsrud recommended the Onsrud 60-249 (thats the 3/8" 3 Flute Low Helix Finisher) and taking off .004" on the finish pass, 18000 @ 200ipm. Experience told me that .004" was not enough for a finish pass but I did use the rpm and ipm. If I was in your position, I would get the 60-249. But you might have to play around with speeds and feeds due to polycarb...in my experience it melts at about the same rate as extruded acrylic.

Attached is a picture of my finish pass. I can't take a closer picture because the camera will not focus that close. I think the biggest difference here is my triple flute low helix.
              Attached Files
              Eddie McCullough
              Monroe, NC

CAMaster Stinger III

Comment

Working...
              X