lichtenberg wood burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lichtenberg wood burning

Ok bought this MIM Strat today, I play left handed and have always wanted to flip a strat but never wanted to do it to a $2k USA made one.

Thought this was a factory design but no, the guy told me about this wood burning process called lichtenberg, looks great obviously I am intrigued, never heard of this before.
    Am doing some googling around of course but am wondering if anyone has any insight to this process. Near as I can tell wood is burned via some leads hooked up to a high voltage machine, then filled with epoxy, quite an effect and I can picture myself going nuts with this process.
    Attached Files
    Doug

Stinger 1

Just found this, hmmm ,,,

Fractal burning has killed and could kill you.

The American Association of Woodturners has banned the use of this process at all of its events and has banned articles about use of a fractal burner in all of its publications.

The reported cases of fractal burning deaths range from hobbyist woodworkers through experienced woodworkers to an electrician with many years experience working with electricity. It only takes one small mistake and you are dead; not injured, dead. Some of those who died were experienced at using the process and some were not. What is common to all of them: fractal burning killed them.

High voltage electricity is an invisible killer; the user cannot see the danger. It is easy to see the danger of a spinning saw blade. It is very obvious that coming into contact with a moving blade will cause an injury, but in almost all cases a spinning blade will not kill you. With fractal burning, one small mistake and you are dead.

This is true whether you are using a homemade device or a manufactured one.

There are many ways to express your creativity. Do not use fractal burning. If you have a fractal burner, throw it away. If you are looking into fractal burning, stop right now and move on to something else. This could save your life.

https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturne...g-Burning.aspx
    Doug

Stinger 1

Comment

Ok nevermind, anyone with insights feel free to jump in but don't think I will be electro burning any time soon.
      Doug

Stinger 1

Comment

I love the look of it. At least you got one done safely.
        Charlie Hind
        Cobra 404 ATC with 12 tool positions & 4th Axis (2012-present)
        (2006-2012 - K2 CNC... sold in 2012 to buy the Cobra)
        WinCNC
        www.hindocarina.com
        http://facebook.com/hindocarina

Comment

I looked into doing it pretty extensively at one point. I decided against it due to the danger. The key if finding something that has high voltage and low amperage. It's not the voltage that kills you it's the amperage.
          4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
          Mister system
          Phenolic Vac table
          Hurricane Vac
          Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

my recollection from youtubes was that a magnetron was salvaged from a microwave oven to power the arcing across some conductive chemicals which were added to the material surface, leaving the burning marks behind when power was applied. rather violent in nature if i remember.

i can see why it was removed from social media for safety reasons - not for the (electrically) untrained hobbyist!

very attractive results - maybe they can be reproduced in another method... dc battery levels would be good.
            Panther PT-404 (aluminum)
            6 position ATC w/5hpHSD, Aspire 11/WinCNC, Recoil, Laser, Hurricane
            near bottom of the learning curve!!

Comment

I found this one https://conestogaworks.com/woodburners.html which looks fairly safe, at least better than cobbling together something yourself [or myself], but I still think I'll pass.
              Always had a healthy respect for electricity, and tend not to go outside my bounds with that in particular.
              Doug

Stinger 1

Comment

Simply could not resist and pulled the trigger on the one posted above.
                Don't plan on "going nuts" and am going to make a wood work station on rubber to increase safety. Am also going to rig up some "holders" for the leads so I don't even have to be holding them when hot.

This guy made a good video with perspective using these, and this unit in particular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKrHBrIAeSs

Will post back with my impressions when able, if you don't hear from me in a while, well ,,,, Never mind !
                Doug

Stinger 1

Comment

First burn, turned out very nice.
                  Have what I consider an ultra safe setup, i have no contact with the probes at all when its hot, set them up and hit a dead mans footswitch.

Might use colored epoxy on this one so I am holding off clear coating for now.
                  Attached Files
                  Doug

Stinger 1

Comment

Nice results and a cool setup
                    4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
                    Mister system
                    Phenolic Vac table
                    Hurricane Vac
                    Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

Wow, Doug, that looks amazing! Nice job & setup.
                      Joe Garber
                      Retired, Hobbyist
                      Stinger 1 SR24
                      FTC
                      Laser Pointer
                      HSD 1.7kw Spindle
                      Indexing Lathe
                      WinCNC, Aspire 10.5, PhotoCarve
                      Storm Vacuum
                      drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
                      1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10

Comment

Thanks.
                        Here is 1 more I did, model I made a couple years ago but decided to strip the finish on the sides and burn it.
                        Apparently the electrolyte solution and perhaps the heat discolored the wood, I was going to bleach it but decided I liked the color, so I just gave it a light sanding, applied 2 coats of clear coat and called it good.
                        Attached Files
                        Doug

Stinger 1

Comment

Pretty neat.

Good candidate for 2 red LEDs for eyeballs

Comment

Working...
                          X