Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotary tools - Foredom, Dremel - what do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rotary tools - Foredom, Dremel - what do you prefer?

Hello,

I use rotary tools frequently at work and at home. I first bought a Dremel when I was about 11 and it lasted over 30 years before it finally died with a large puff of smoke. I bought a Dremel 4000 replace it a couple of years ago and in addition to vibration, it's starting to have some issues - it may be the brushes but either way I don't see it lasting nearly as long as my original.

At work, we have gone through a bunch of Dremels and I'm now starting to think about getting something higher end like a Foredom

For those of you who use tools like this, what are your experiences? The Foredom is very well built, but are there limitations to using a flex shaft tool vs. a tool like a Dremel where it's all in one part? One factor for me is that I don't always work just at a bench. I take the tool to the work which is sometimes one of the steel cabinets for our machines etc. For the Foredom, I would probably need some type of portable hanger or mount but I can fabricate that.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear opinions, experiences etc.

Thanks,

Kyle
    Kyle Joiner
    IPA LLC
    www.thinkipa.com
    Duluth, GA
    CAMaster Stinger 1 23
    FTC, Laser Cross Hair
    Vectric V Carve Pro
    Remote Handheld Keypad
    Solid Edge 2021

i have both styles ... my shaft style is homemade
    Panther PT-404 (aluminum)
    6 position ATC w/5hpHSD, Aspire 11/WinCNC, Recoil, Laser, Hurricane
    near bottom of the learning curve!!

Comment

Dremel for little tiny stuff.
      Metabo GE 710 compact die grinder for bigger jobs.

Pete
      ----------
      2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1kW Spindle
      Performance Pkg w/Gantry Lift, FTC
      Phenolic Top, Storm Vac, JTech Laser
      VCarve Pro 11.0
      www.gotoguysmarine.com

Comment

The Foredom is by far the better choice.
        Stinger II SR44 with servos
        Recoil Prep
        3KW spindle
        7 Watt Laser
        Pro Option Pack
        Hand Held Keypad
        T-Slot Table with Hurricane Vacuum.
        Aspire 10.5
        WinCnc

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the responses. I'll probably end up with a Foredom and a couple of handpieces for it.

Kyle
          Kyle Joiner
          IPA LLC
          www.thinkipa.com
          Duluth, GA
          CAMaster Stinger 1 23
          FTC, Laser Cross Hair
          Vectric V Carve Pro
          Remote Handheld Keypad
          Solid Edge 2021

Comment

Hello,

I opened up my Dremel 4000 over the weekend to see if I could figure out where the vibration and noise was coming from. It looked clean inside, the brushes still have a lot of material left and the bearings spin smoothly. I put it back together and the vibration was still there. I opened it up again then put it back together. "Magically" it's now running fine with no vibrations. I always hate when that happens because I have no root cause. Of course, it will probably start vibrating again in he future but for now it's useable.

I'm still looking at Foredoms though. I think the SR motor with the H44 handpiece (collet type) will be the best option. The H30 with the chuck might be handy as well. The H30 is bulkier than the H44.

The other factor is portability. I can take the Dremel to the work pretty easily as long as I have enough cord. With the Foredom, I need to figure out how to support the motor If I take it somewhere that I don't have a hanger or bench mount.

Kyle
            Kyle Joiner
            IPA LLC
            www.thinkipa.com
            Duluth, GA
            CAMaster Stinger 1 23
            FTC, Laser Cross Hair
            Vectric V Carve Pro
            Remote Handheld Keypad
            Solid Edge 2021

Comment

Working...