CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC (http://www.camheads.org/index.php)
-   Cobra CNC Routers (http://www.camheads.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Any ideas on how to source this servo motor more quickly (http://www.camheads.org/showthread.php?t=9983)

cncdood 06-21-2019 08:45 AM

Any ideas on how to source this servo motor more quickly

Hi all, does anyone know where I can find a motor to replace the M-3411P-LN-08D? I spent months waiting on other parts only to learn that the z motor is also fried and a replacement is "3-5 weeks away" from Teknic. Last time I ordered a part from Teknic, they said 2-4 weeks and in reality ittook 2 months.

Is there an alternative? Does anyone have one of these motors I could buy?

----

That's all, but if you're interested in the sob story you can read below:

I bought a 2013 510 cobra in February from a user on this forum and there have been no end to the problems. First the power supply died. Michael at CAMaster has been incredibly helpful, but because Teknic no longer manufacturers that device, it was a custom order and took 2 months to get. Now, the z servo motor is on the fritz, and it's looking like it'll take about 3-4 months total just to get to the point of making the first cut.

At this point, the delays in wasted shop space and lost contracts have costs more than the price of the machine itself. I know now that I should've just bought a new machine, but I never expected that key components like the power supply and servo motors on a 6 year old machine would essentially become custom parts that have to be manufactured to order. I always assumed I could easily replace broken components.

I don't see how anyone can run a sustainable business if a basic part like a motor can cause a month of downtime. Is the expectation that customers should just stock redundant parts for all components? Is this a common problem?

Jim Becker 06-21-2019 08:59 AM

Sam, have you asked Michael about what would be involved to replace key components like those servo motors with current technology to make it easier to deal with replacements? If the OEM manufacturer has moved on so far that they can only replace by custom build, that would be a concern for any brand of machine since those are items that typically must be sources from a short list of manufacturers.

james mcgrew 06-21-2019 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am sure if this were a common Problem it would be seen to Us who see all the post and all the Owners, My Current 508 ATC is seven years old and cranking away , I am not smart enough to know if you can mix and match the servos between brands, Power supplies are easy enough. with My machine cutting 30-60 5 x 8 sheets a day i keep an extra power supply on hand , for my edge banders i have an extra computer and screen yet i have not needed to use the part.

Teknic shows the 3411P in stock

We still keep our boring machine and table saws nothing shuts Us down

https://www.teknic.com/clearpath-part-number-key/

https://www.teknic.com/model-info/CPM-MCPV-3411P-ELN/

james mcgrew 06-21-2019 09:14 AM

Glad i read this !

1 Attachment(s)
Glad i read this !

cncdood 06-21-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james mcgrew (Post 81408)
Teknic shows the 3411P in stock

Thanks James, this is helpful. Although it looks like the model you sent is the CPM-MCPV-3411P-ELN when what I need is the M-3411P-LN-08D. Using that part number decoder you sent, it appears to be a fairly different part.

Ken Rychlik 06-21-2019 09:55 AM

Heck, I'll trade you for a running Stinger [embar] Seriously if you need help, I'm not to far away from you. I would agree about changing em out, if it's hard to get replacement parts for. I sent you my number on pm

TimPa 06-21-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cncdood (Post 81410)
Thanks James, this is helpful. Although it looks like the model you sent is the CPM-MCPV-3411P-ELN when what I need is the M-3411P-LN-08D. Using that part number decoder you sent, it appears to be a fairly different part.

Hi Sam, I would not be afraid to contact other nema 34 servo motor suppliers (google here) and talk with their technical support team explaining your situation to see if they have an equivalent or suitable substitute. you will likely also need your drive model/part number info for that call.

cncdood 06-21-2019 11:07 AM

Ok thanks all. I've reached out to a few manufacturers of other motors and hopefully they can help me find one that'll serve as a replacement.

Gary Campbell 06-28-2019 05:53 PM

Sam...
I may have some options (Teknic and other brands) for you if you haven't found suitable motors yet

Doug S 06-28-2019 08:28 PM

Sam,
I have that exact motor if you would just replace it when yours comes in.
I am sorry you have gone thru the issue you have, but the casters are really GREAT machines.
You can call me at 512-468-9451 to discuss picking up the motor.
I actually have three of them but can only find one at the moment.
I am located just outside of Bastrop so not too far away.

Doug