CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC (http://www.camheads.org/index.php)
-   CAMheads How 2 (http://www.camheads.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Dumb Questions (continued) (http://www.camheads.org/showthread.php?t=10298)

Flatlander825 12-28-2019 06:58 AM

Dumb Questions (continued)

For those with a Stinger III X3 just for clarification do I need to do a measure T1, T2, T3 in order for the cutting depths to be correct? I think that's what I need to do but wanted to ask those with more knowledge experience than I. Thanks in advance.
Ron

Jim Becker 12-28-2019 10:00 AM

Think this through here...you have three motors that spin the tools with their own individual collets. Each time you change a tool in any one of those collets, it's going to be at a slightly (or significantly) different length than the previous tool for that position was. The machine and WinCNC need to know the exact tool length in order to cut the toolpaths you assign to that tool. So yes, each individual tool of the three you have available to you will have to be measured relative to a constant, such as the machine bed. Once that's stored, you do not have to remeasure unless you change the tool, AFAIK. X3 is like an ATC in this respect, again, AFAIK. (Disclaimer...I don't have X3 and have a single spindle where I use the FTC for tool measurement)

Flatlander825 12-28-2019 05:47 PM

Dumb Quesstions(continued)

I probably stated the question poorly. My intent was confirmation this was the right procedure. Point take however.

R.L.Schulz 12-29-2019 07:03 AM

Ron,
If using the Touch Top measuring device:
-Measure T1
-Measure T2
-Measure T3

-Get T1
-Touch Top (T1)

If you change T2 or T3, each will need to be measured accordingly, right after you tighten that collet nut!
Example: remove 1/4” end mill from T3 and install 90 deg. V bit, you will need to “Measure T3”

If you change T1, you will need to
-Measure T1
-Get T1
-Touch Top (T1)
(T2,T3 will retain their Z measurements
NOTE: T1 sets the offsets for X,Y,Z,T2,T3 on the X3, everything comes off of T1!

It never hurts to go through the entire process occasionally, for good measure, pun intended, but Z is on ball screws and seldom loose’s step, if your machine has steppers.

Also, if you need to jog to a random position to set
X0 Y0, you need to use T1!

Congratulations on your X3, we love ours!

james mcgrew 12-29-2019 08:05 AM

No Dumb Questions Here No None at all !

I had one of the first X3s in 08 and we did ours with the aluminum block

registering T2,T3 to T1 then setting z zero to T1 which set them all to z zero.

Flatlander825 12-29-2019 09:54 PM

Dumb Questions(continued)

James, can you clarify registering T2 and T3 with T1? What it sounds like is setting the bits in T2 and T3 to the same "level" as T1 and then zeroing the "Z". This makes a lot of sense if my interpretation is correct.

james mcgrew 12-30-2019 06:31 AM

I sold my X3 in 2012 just when i got the ATC I have now, best memeory I have is what I posted. it has been a while