CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2020, 12:41 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default First project; feeds and speeds

I'm planning to cut my first project later today. Getting to this point was more work than I estimated but now I have my shop arranged and machine setup and tested. I'm ready to cut my first project.

This first project is a small sign with lettering pocketed in a piece of 1" x 4" pine I found on the scrap pile. It's an offcut from another project. The pocket will be 1/4" deep.

I'm using an Amana 46415 1/4" two-flute downcut bit. According to the Amana datasheet for the bit, the recommended cutting parameters are 180 IPM @ 18K RPM, and that gets me a chipload of 0.0050". Those numbers are consistent with the numbers I get from a spreadsheet I got from a VCarve training class I attended.

To maintain a chipload of 0.0050, I can reduce my RPM to 10K and feed rate to 100 IPM.

Since this is my first project on a new machine, I'll probably be more cautious and go slower with the 100 IPM @ 10K since it yields the same chipload. And I'll cut some air first, just to verify the toolpath.

Do these numbers seem like a reasonable starting point for a piece of 1x4 pine from a big box? Any feedback re: my approach is also appreciated.

Scott
2020 Stinger II SR-44
Vectric VCarve 10
Bricsys BricsCAD V20 Platinum
Old 09-12-2020, 12:52 PM
Stinger II Owner

Scott,

Seems like 1/4 pocket depth is pretty deep, but that is a personal preference. Over time, my pockets have gotten a little shallower. Anyway, just personal preferences....

I seldom use a down cut but otherwise with a straight bit I would be cutting this pocket at 125 to 150 ipm and 16K. Sometimes fasters rpm depending on how things sound and look (chip size).

I assume your 1/4 inch down cut is making two passes. If only one pass then there are times when it will be cutting full 1/4 inch width so be sure the clamping is solid, which I'm sure you have done.

You'll get used to what good chips look like. I really like the dial on the VFD control to tweak the rpm as needed. Also, make a note on your keyboard by the "Insert" and "Delete" keys in case you need to slow ipm down. Sometimes it is handy.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:50 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks for the input, Charlie. I made a few changes and, considering what I was trying to accomplish, I'm happy with the results. Photo attached.

Parameters were 100 IPM @ 10K with 1/8" pass depth. I also ended up using a piece of scrap plywood instead of the 1 x 4 pine. There are minor imperfections (inside corner on top of the "r" and inside corners on the bottom of the "w") but I suspect that is a result of the cheap plywood.

I'll take the win!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HelloWorld.jpg (17.5 KB, 51 views)

Scott
2020 Stinger II SR-44
Vectric VCarve 10
Bricsys BricsCAD V20 Platinum
Old 09-12-2020, 05:39 PM
CAMaster Owner

Nothing like getting that first project off the table....congrats!
It just gets better and better from here on out. Enjoy that new machine.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 09-12-2020, 06:01 PM
Stinger II Owner

Iím alive, says the machine!!
Fun to follow.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:54 PM
CAMaster Owner

I tend to just run at 18000rpm unless it's a really big bit. I'd rather burn up a bit (never happened) than snap one. And I've managed to snap a couple of 3/8" bits. I generally keep speeds around 150ipm (or less) on X/Y and around 80 on Z unless I'm doing true 3D, and then I up Z to 150. I may go to 200ipm on a vcarve, but I don't think acceleration really allows that on the shorter paths.

I've played with the wincnc.ini acceleration settings, and even managed to cut at 250 to 300 ipm, but the accuracy just suffers so much that it's not worth it. I now have all accelerations at stock. I'm not in a production business, so I came to the conclusion that accuracy is way better than cut speed.
Aspire
Old 09-15-2020, 07:00 PM
CAMaster Owner

Remember that when your machine is doing short cuts with many adjustments it may well never reach max travel speed. So me typing in 600ipm in a small v carve is never actually going to happen. The machine will never get out of corner speed.

On bits I use the size as the max depth. But really it just depends on what your cutting. My 3/4 melamine and ply gets a full depth cut with a 1/4 compression bit.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik