CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > Questions For The Sales Team!

Old 07-26-2019, 06:17 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default To Recoil or NOT

I have just placed an order for Stinger II SR-44 with the 1.7KW spindle and the performance pro package (2" Gantry Lift, Laser Cross Hair, FTC, Counter Balance). I also included the T-Track and standard base board.

QUESTION:

Should I add the Recoil Prep for $349??

It will add 8" to 11" inches to space I would prefer not to give up. Not sure if I will leverage the 4th axis in future but like the idea of having it all setup for 4th axis capability if I want to head in that direction.

I am worried that if I don't have it setup for 4th axis, it may have future resell implications even if I never install the 4th axis.

Who all would go with Recoil Prep?

Old 07-26-2019, 06:45 PM
CAMaster Owner

Man, that's like asking if Ford or Chevy are better.

I, personally, really like doing rotary work and have a Stinger II with Recoil. But, my focus is furniture parts. Turned legs, that sort of thing. Many, many more people use a CNC router to make cabinets, signs and other flat items. Sheet goods all day long and who needs a rotary? So.... what's your goal?
Old 07-26-2019, 08:15 PM
CAMaster Owner

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.davison View Post
Man, that's like asking if Ford or Chevy are better.

I, personally, really like doing rotary work and have a Stinger II with Recoil. But, my focus is furniture parts. Turned legs, that sort of thing. Many, many more people use a CNC router to make cabinets, signs and other flat items. Sheet goods all day long and who needs a rotary? So.... what's your goal?
Mike,
You just added a bonus vote to get the prep installed. Your response indicates that there are folks out there that do use and want 4th axis.

Thanks

Last edited by jmarks27; 07-26-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:51 PM
CAMaster Owner

My understanding is that very few people use the rotary if they didn't already have an application for it when buying the machine. I thought about the prep when I was getting my machine build because it's clearly an inexpensive thing and can't be added after the fact. I decided not to because I didn't have any foreseeable application and I would not have been able to get the machine through my shop's 72" wide doors. It also would have caused issue with shop space because of the extended gantry to the right...space I really couldn't give up. What I should have done is taken that same money and put it into the gantry lift for that extra 2" of Z height...hindsight and all that. :)

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 07-27-2019, 07:09 AM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

I had one on my X3 years Ago, I did use it but as my commercial need i did not use it enough but i did like it, I did not add one to my next machines

that said, having it recoil ready will serve at resale value should you not find a need to add it yourself,

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 07-27-2019, 10:15 AM
CAMaster Owner

I would say to have the prep done if you have the space and budget. Those were the deciding factors for me when I chose not to have the prep done. I also reasoned that my machine's time would be better spent on task's like engraving and cutting while I work a floor lathe on the other side of the shop. Just my two cents.

John

Stinger II SR-34
1.7kw Spindle
FTC
Laser Cross-hair
Remote Keypad
Dewalt
Ridgid
Festool
Grizzly

Volunteer Woodshop