CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

Old 12-24-2018, 10:36 PM
CAMaster Owner

Straight from the can and no thinning. That might be something to try to increase the drying time. I find it almost impossible to brush smoothly, but I use disposable brushes, so they’re not high quality. I can sand it flat though and get a really smooth finish when I spray the poly.
Aspire
Old 12-24-2018, 10:45 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks! I will have to give that try on my next project. I was using lacquer most of the time for my base.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 12-25-2018, 08:26 AM
CAMaster Owner

Be sure you are using de-waxed shellac under water borne products to insure adhesion. Zinsser SealCoat is wax-free. The other versions are not. You can easily source de-waxed shellac flakes from a variety of sources if you want a specific "color" (which means just darker or lighter) but the SealCoat isn't very dark and is ready to spray right out of the container with similar settings to many water borne finishes. My gun setup is nearly the same for both the SealCoat and the Target Coatings water borne finishes I tend to use.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 12-25-2018, 10:00 AM
CAMaster Owner

I brush the shellac because I don’t want the hassle of cleaning my spray guns. Cleanup is the absolute best part of water borne finishes.
Aspire
Old 12-25-2018, 10:25 AM
CAMaster Owner

Shellac is very brush-friendly as long as one understands it's a different material than varnish and requires a different application technique. Get it on. Do not continue to work it. Thin, thin coats and only what you need to do the job for coverage. Work quickly and do not return to an area that you already hit until the next coat if there is one. Brushing shellac is very much a "feel" thing; some folks are comfortable with it and others struggle. Another option is the Zinsser shellac in the spray can. It's de-waxed and easy to apply. I use it pretty much all the time for smaller projects so I don't have to deal with the gun routine and keep a few cans on hand at all times.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com