CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > How To Use This Forum > CAMheads How 2

Old 07-11-2019, 09:42 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default New owner

Iíve ordered a stinger 1 sr24 with 1.7 kw spindle and the laser etching engraver. It should be eight weeks to get it. I have a question or two . The 1.7 spindle torque spec shows a er 25 collet but Cody says Iím getting an er 20 what would be the reason for that if I ordered with 1.7? I bought a bit set from Freud sign makers kit. Would these be ok or should I get from tools today. The cost was half of the set at tools today? What size air line should I get for the counter balancer and I bought a quiet compressor that delivers 125 psi but is low cam. 44 decibels.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:53 PM
CAMaster Owner

My 1.7kw spindle has an ER25 collet system.

Air for the counterbalance is minimal...it doesn't "use" air like a nailer or other tool, per se...it just uses pressure to assist balancing the weight of the spindle in the Z orientation. So a very, very modest compressor is all that is needed.

The Freud bit set is fine...it's pretty much similar to anybody else's "starter" bit set.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 07-11-2019, 10:08 PM
CAMaster Owner

So does the er20 collet not come with 1.7 ? And do I need a 1/4 inch tubing for air line and which connections do I need to get? My quote sheet shows a 1.7 . Just curious ? Does anyone on here have the stinger with the etching engraver yet?
Old 07-12-2019, 09:54 AM
CAMaster Owner

The connection for the air supply uses standard 1/4" components...nothing special.

Perhaps something has changed, but my 1.7kw spindle came with an ER25 collet setup, not an ER20. Maybe they use a slightly different one on the Stinger I that has a different collet size. If you are thinking about buying additional collets as spares (recommended), I suggest you wait until you receive your machine to be sure about exactly what you have. The bit set you purchased has 1/4" shanks (what you will use most of the time) and there will be a 1/4" collet with the CNC machine out of the box.

The laser engraver option is very, very new and only machines shipped recently may have it. I believe there have been a few folks who have indicated they ordered it, but I don't recall anyone posting commentary about use yet. Keep your eye on the Stinger I section of the forum discussion area. Make sure you have a good method for ventilation when using the laser engraving option as the fumes can be nasty. Dedicated laser systems have fume extraction systems specifically for that.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 07-12-2019, 02:06 PM
CAMaster Sales

Default Collet Size

Sorry for any confusion, that is what happens when we quote a bunch of different options and spindles. The 1.0kw is ER20 and the 1.7kw is ER25.
cody@camaster.com
www.camaster.com
Old 07-12-2019, 03:32 PM
Stinger I Owner

Jeff, congrats on your Stinger! The 1.7 spindle uses an ER25.
The air hook-up for the counter balance may have changed from my 2013 Stinger but here are a couple of pics of my setup. The plastic supply air line has a ľĒ NPT female fitting that you connect your air supply to (pic 1). The air line snakes through the lower e-chain to the right side of the pressure regulator. The left side air line then routes through the upper e-chain to the counter balance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 1.jpg (69.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 2.jpg (82.2 KB, 50 views)
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
KRS USB Keypad
Mick Martin Table
Aspire 10, WinCNC
Chips-a-flyiní
brucep128@gmail.com
Old 07-12-2019, 09:29 PM
CAMaster Owner

I have an SR24. When it arrived the air line with adapter was just stuck on the end of the air tubing. I was concerned that over time the plastic tubing could get kinked or break so I routed the tubing down to a leg on the stand and mounted it with a clamp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190712_124814.jpg (56.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20190712_124820.jpg (57.9 KB, 42 views)
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 9.5

Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-12-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:20 AM
CAMaster Owner

Congrats on the impending new Stinger, Jeff. You will love the machine.
I can't wait to hear how you like the laser feature and to see what you do with it.
Im kind of bummed its not available as an after purchase
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 07-17-2019, 12:10 AM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks for the replies, I am looking forward to the new stinger .
Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 AM
CAMaster Owner

I have an old 25 gallon Porter Cable air compressor in my storage room with air piped to my basement shop and garage. Even though I have an air outlet right near my machine, I just fill a 7 gallon portable Kobalt tank to 120 psi and leave that connected to the machine. It lasts for many weeks and I donít have to start the compressor up every time I start cutting. I normally refill the tank when it gets to fifty-something psi.
Aspire