CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The CAMhead Locker Room! > Russell Crawford

Old 01-13-2019, 03:56 PM
CAMaster Owner

Now I wonder it you could get that thing to index?

not me but someone smraterrer....

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 01-13-2019, 05:04 PM
Cobra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
I agree, Gary...and we've seen multiple examples of that confusion in both pre- and post-purchase threads/commentary. I do like Russell's solution to do what he wants to do. The indexing side of things isn't as elegant nor does it have the precision resolution of the Recoil, but for his purpose, it's a nice way to handle things.
The indexing part of my operations isn't very elegant at all. It works well for what I'm doing, which is simply holding the lathe in a fixed position while I machine at that angle. The lathe itself has indexes every 15 degrees, and I make custom jigs for other angles.

I would really like a 4th axis that could act as a lathe AND an indexer. But for production work, the lathe capabilities are FAR more important than indexing capabilities. You won't ever make money doing finish tool paths on an indexer. True 4 axis CAM programs will do better, but a lathe is still quicker for any job that requires a 'round' baseline. Knives would be nice for a smoother finish (and could be added to my Z axis if I ever needed), but a 1/2" end mill will do a round over in one pass, and a 1/2" ballnose will create a profile in a single pass (just limited in your profiles to that radius).

I do love the fact that I can now pop out projects that I couldn't do efficiently before. I had to make some 18" french curve rolling pins. I was able to take rough 8/4 square stock, pop it on the lathe, and have a french rolling pin cut in about 3 minutes, with another couple minutes of sanding. I made 10 of them in an hour, and they were all perfect. Not something you could do quickly by hand on a lathe (difficult profile to get perfect) or efficiently on a recoil in less than 30 minutes each. That brought my labour price down to about $8 each, rather than an unreasonable $30-$35 each.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 01-14-2019, 10:35 AM
Cobra Owner

Very nice solution Russell. Thanks for posting.
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 01-14-2019, 02:57 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default lathe cutting

Russell

I do some similar to these from the side and you can make the taper that you want what every you program it. You could literally do it in one cut with a much smoother finish. Use a straight cutter not spiral as it can match the revolutions of your lathe and make the cut worse. The way you have it right now you are using the very tip of the ball nose for the finish cut and is not optimum. Not criticizing!!! because you are way better at this than me but just a suggestion that can save time and make the job of sanding easier and I'm always for that?
Old 01-14-2019, 05:48 PM
Cobra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darde View Post
Russell

I do some similar to these from the side and you can make the taper that you want what every you program it. You could literally do it in one cut with a much smoother finish. Use a straight cutter not spiral as it can match the revolutions of your lathe and make the cut worse. The way you have it right now you are using the very tip of the ball nose for the finish cut and is not optimum. Not criticizing!!! because you are way better at this than me but just a suggestion that can save time and make the job of sanding easier and I'm always for that?
I still have a lot to learn about this method, that's for sure!

I have thought about going from the side, like you suggested, but that is something I haven't experimented with yet. Makes sense though, using the edge of an endmill instead of the tip of a ballnose. More cutting surface being used, therefore more efficient and a smoother finish. I will try this next!

I wonder if using a downcut spiral on the side of the lathe that is turning up into the bit would give a better finish than a straight cutter? Then the edge of the bit is actually slicing down into the wood as it rotates up through it.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Last edited by rcrawford; 01-14-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:43 PM
CAMhead Friend

As long as the rotation of the lathe is going the correct way. The way mine worked when I tried the spiral I used an upcut and it was pulling up with the rotation of the lathe (I cut from the back of the lathe) so it was not as good as the straight, but a downcut would likely work better. I think I did post a video on here a long time ago of the arrow back chair rungs I was cutting. I will try to find it.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:48 PM
CAMhead Friend

Some of the Big expensive programs for turning offset the ballnose down and to the side to run on the outside edge and avoid using the tip.