CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger I (Table Top)

Old 08-01-2020, 08:02 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Spindle or router

New guy here. Just retired this year and looking to get into cnc stuff mostly as a hobby. Never had or used any cnc machinery but I'm sure I would be able to learn.
I've scoured the internet for months searching for what I feel would be the best machine for me and this is where I have landed.
I only live about 3.5 hours from Camaster so after looking at this forum I drove up there on Friday. Met Cody at the door and took the tour.
Impressive facility. Impressive machinery. It was nice to be able to see where something that you may spend your hard earned money on was being built. Also nice to have someone like Cody explain things about the machines and actually get to see one in operation.
I'm leaning toward buying a Stinger 1 and I have a question about the 1 hp spindle upgrade . I would like to go to the next spindle but I don't have 220 power in my shop and I would have to install a separate service -- which is something I don't wish to do.
I know the 1 hp spindle is quieter than the router but is it stronger and better than the router ?
The upgrade to the 1 hp spindle is a fair amount of money so I just want to know if it's money well spent.

And if anyone is like me and curious about cnc machines you really should go by Camaster and get Cody to give you the tour. Thanks again Cody.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:36 PM
CAMhead Legend

I would think about adding the 220 it could be done in your budget because you are going to have other tools like dust collector that might need 220 in the future and it opens you up to a better situation down the road.

Generally speaking, a spindle is going to be quieter, more accurate and out perform a router. Look into how router HP is calculated and see how it compares over different speeds as opposed to the spindle. Camaster should be able to provide those specs as they sell both on the machine. Decide what you want to cut primarily and then decide which is better for you. There are many variables and each person might have different answers for their situation. Lots of people have the smaller machines with routers and are happy with them.

My "shop" (garage) has the CNC, a dust collector and a table saw that all run on 220 so in my situation it was a must have.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:48 PM
Stinger I Owner

I was in your shoes a few years ago, waffling between the router and spindle. The thought of listening to a screaming router for hours on end didn’t sit well, but spending the $$ on a spindle didn’t either. My wife finally pushed me over the edge toward the spindle. I am very glad she did - some 3D finish cuts can take several hours to complete.
Now to your second question. I was planning to go with the 1hp spindle but was told the 1hp was better suited for engraving than routing. I went with the 1.7kw (2.2hp). The 1.7.kw is very capable.
It did sting a little at first but 6 months down the road I was glad I did.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
KRS USB Keypad
Mick Martin Table
Aspire 10, WinCNC
Chips-a-flyin’
brucep128@gmail.com
Old 08-01-2020, 10:49 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

I personally think that for a hobbyist, the time and expense of a spindle would be better spent on bits, software and tools. I think I rank a bit above hobby rank and I have got by fine with a router and likewise would not want to go through the hassle of setting up a 220 just for that.
As to the sound, yes by nature spindles are quieter than routers just running but a good % of noise generated is by the bit cutting into material, and obviously it is the same for both of them.

Tough to quantify large expense vs results, I can say that my 1st router lasted nearly 10 years with 2 or 3 brush changes, just got my 2nd one a few months ago, that is impressive to me. I have heard quite a few horror stories of spindles dying and being sent in for multi $1,000 rebuilds, a router you can order one and be up and running days later for $200 or better yet, just keep a spare against the day [year] when it might bite the dust.

Most importantly perhaps, will you get better results ? Never used one so can't say for sure, I highly doubt it, I have cranked out quite a few masterpieces if I do say so myself and its tough to see them getting even better if only I used a spindle. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm good, maybe I'm a bit of both but I personally think quality [preferably USA made] bits and dialed in settings in software, as well as proper material setup and control software settings, are more of a key to "good results" for guys like us [and not necessarily Fords or Boeing] than what is spinning them.

Are they more efficient/economical in the long run ? Considering the relative initial expenses, almost certainly no. You'd have to save a whole lot of juice and time to make up that difference and if anything, they may be more juice hogs than routers [correct me if I'm wrong]

Hope the spindle devotees don't get upset, only my opinion and experiences as an average garage CNC'er - If I was running production and making a living off CNC like some here are then yeah, I'd more than likely be using a spindle.

Stinger 1

Last edited by Xray; 08-02-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:43 AM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks for the replies. I could run 220 from my house to the shop fairly inexpensively so that might be something I look into.

My next question about the 1 hp spindle running on 110 voltage is about it's performance. Is it at least as good as the 3.5 hp router used in the base model ?

I have a pretty good case of tinnitus as a result of the chemotherapy I went through a couple of years ago so I tend to be pretty sensitive to noises like routers make.

Thanks guys. Btw -- there is a lot of good information to be gleaned from this forum.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:15 AM
CAMhead Legend

I have run both I do like the spindle but the router works just as well and is less money that you will need down the road. Good hearing protection is a must with both. If you are just using this as a hobby then the router is what I would get.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:06 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by exphoneman View Post
I have a pretty good case of tinnitus ...
Um.. spindle, absolutely no question.
>Pen Marking Tools >CNC Drag Knife
Old 08-02-2020, 12:16 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
Um.. spindle, absolutely no question.
I would say use of noise cancelling headphones would be a better option for someone with sensitive/damaged hearing.
Simply having a spindle alone vs a router will do nothing about the often shrieking sounds a bit can make cutting into material, will do nothing about the turbine like whine of a dust collector, ect ,, Both of which can and do drown out the noise of a router motor, and tend to be at a more intense pitch.

Looks like OP is leaning towards a spindle and wants to be talked into it, nothing wrong with that but hearing protection should be worn no matter which choice he makes, all things considered.

Stinger 1
Old 08-02-2020, 01:08 PM
CAMaster Owner

I have a stinger 1 with the 1hp (120V) spindle. Never been sorry I bought it. My DC is louder than the spindle. However, it's not just quieter than a router. The spindle speeds can be controlled by the software, it has a lot of power, it has good feeds and speeds and, for the kind of use I use it for, it will probably last me for the rest of my life.
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser crosshair
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 10.5

Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-02-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:32 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
I would say use of noise cancelling headphones would be a better option for someone with sensitive/damaged hearing.
Simply having a spindle alone vs a router will do nothing about the often shrieking sounds a bit can make cutting into material, will do nothing about the turbine like whine of a dust collector, ect ,, Both of which can and do drown out the noise of a router motor, and tend to be at a more intense pitch.
I wear the max decible 3M cans and I'm still glad I have a spindle. It all adds up. You can get hearing loss from conduction through your skull too. Main path is ears, but it can get in other ways. DC is another big one. Put that bad boy in it's own room if you can, compressor too.
>Pen Marking Tools >CNC Drag Knife