CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Panther Series

Old 03-22-2019, 11:27 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Setup questions: Power/Air/Vac

Ok, I think Iím at the end of week 12 of waiting for my new Panther... I believe it should be shipping next week and hopefully by this time next week weíll be unvarying this beast.

I do have a question though. Iím still in the process of cleaning up and making room for my new PT-508, and I was going to wait till it showed up to run my electrical, air line, and dust vac hose... but is there something that shows where all of these things would connect to the machine? Iíll probably wait anyway, but Iíd like to figure out what conduit I need and figure out my length of wire and what not.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:04 PM
CAMaster Owner

Electrical should be in a large j-box that's under the table behind the controller box on the front of the machine. Air is 'likely' at front-left just behind that panel if you are facing the front of the machine...whichever side that the cables are routed from the controller up to the gantry via the ladder. Dust collection should be from above and be setup so that the hose can move with the gantry without binding. You MUST pay very careful attention to grounding relative to the dust collection...see Gary Campbell's excellent resources on that particular subject here and on YouTube.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 03-22-2019, 12:29 PM
CAMaster Owner

Jim is correct on the placement of the electrical and air line connection. The cables that run to the computer are located on the left side of the control box also. I did not use conduit for power to my machine, I used the recommended gauge wire with a plug on the end so I can unplug my machine when needed.

I ran my dust collection to just about the center of where I was going place the machine.

If you have a vacuum table, the 3" pipe coming out of the manifold is at the far right (High Y, High X) of the machine when you're facing the control box.

I would allow a few more weeks before you get too excited on the delivery. They've been really busy which usually pushes things back a bit. If it does happen to show up on time, then get excited.
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 03-22-2019, 12:41 PM
CAMaster Owner

Ok... well Iíve got a 6x6Ē column that comes down on the left of where the machine will be placed, about 1/3 of the distance from the front... I guess Iíll bring my power and air down there. I also plan on wiring a cord and a plug so I can disconnect if need be. Same goes for the air connection. Iíve already got what I believe is 6Ē galvanized above what will be the center of the machine. My issue is that in the area I want to tuck the machine, the ceiling is only about 8í. If I place it there does anyone think Iíll have an issue with the dust connection line? I was thinking of putting some sort of t-track on the ceiling with rolling hooks to hold the line. That way Iíve got enough when art the far reaches of the machine, but itís not sloppy when spindle is right under my connection.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:14 PM
CAMaster Owner

Yeah, you'll have to have a track system because of the length of hose or else it'll be drooping on everything.........unless you come in from the side and do a type of swing arm. Look at my post under the Panther section here and click on the second pic with me standing beside the machine. I'm 6' tall for comparison. My machine doesn't have the leveling feet on it either which adds another couple of inches.
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 03-22-2019, 03:38 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
Yeah, you'll have to have a track system because of the length of hose or else it'll be drooping on everything.........unless you come in from the side and do a type of swing arm. Look at my post under the Panther section here and click on the second pic with me standing beside the machine. I'm 6' tall for comparison. My machine doesn't have the leveling feet on it either which adds another couple of inches.
Yeah I saw your post. I guess most of this Iíll have to just see how it works out after I get it here. Iím not in a rush, Iíd rather set it up right and who know, maybe once it comes Iíll end up putting it somewhere else in my shop.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:42 PM
CAMaster Owner

A one page pic of the footprint with power and air requirements on it would be a handy thing to have after you give them your specs.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik