CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > Vacuum, work holding, dust collection

Old 05-30-2019, 12:41 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
Look at Paul Rountree's "Spiral Gadget"
Interesting. I wasn't aware of it. I had a quick look a the code. It's really all about the spirals! Like number of turns, or type of spiral, etc. It's well done.

The difference in what I did is that while the code creates an Archimedes spiral, it doesn't care about number of turns. It just keeps extending the spiral, taking the bit width and required overlap into account, until it almost reaches the circle diameter. It then does a cleanup pass. Paul's gadget would totally allow you to create the spiral, but it doesn't optimize anything for bit size. So it could be inefficient. I may look into hacking his and adding the capability...

One of the reasons for using a spiral path instead of a pocket toolpath for cleaning up a circle would be to not have a line of bit circles in a material like Corian. Aspire does a circle, and then does a shift to the next diameter when doing offset passes. This tends to leave a line of circles that I always have to sand out. Because the bit pauses on that line after the shift. A spiral path would help with this.
Aspire
Old 05-30-2019, 06:46 PM
Cobra Owner

I REALLY wish Vectric would incorporate spirals into their pocket tool paths, and even better would be a spiral finish tool path. Cleaner pockets and 3D cuts. I rarely use a pocket tool path now, preferring to draw my own vectors in a spiral to pocket out the material.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com