CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger II

Old 06-18-2019, 02:28 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks for your input everyone. I think I have it figured out. I will be taking it off of the casters and keeping the vac under the table. I have a plan in mind for an enclosure if the sound bugs me....there just isnít a good way to put it anywhere else...and I do wear ear plugs when working.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:02 PM
CAMaster Owner

I have a Cyclone, which only has 3 motors. It's under my table, and is as loud as can be. It generates a *huge* amount of heat. Unlike the Hurricane, it has a square exit port and not a round one so it's more difficult to pump the hot air outside or somewhere else. I've been meaning to design something, but I just haven't had time to get to it.
Aspire
Old 06-18-2019, 03:10 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVE2000 View Post
I have a Cyclone, which only has 3 motors. It's under my table, and is as loud as can be. It generates a *huge* amount of heat. Unlike the Hurricane, it has a square exit port and not a round one so it's more difficult to pump the hot air outside or somewhere else. I've been meaning to design something, but I just haven't had time to get to it.
If I end up plumbing the exhaust outside, that will mean I have an exhaust pipe crossing the open space to the wall vs the vacuum line... decisions, decisions. I had already run the electrical to be near the spot under the table. I plugged it in and turned it on...much quieter than my dust collector..I suppose it may get louder trying to suck through LDF...

Oh...and the exhaust would be exiting through the front wall of my house into a row of shrubbery. Probably not the popular decision to keep my wife happy!

Last edited by Krvnrch; 06-18-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:58 PM
CAMaster Owner

Enclosure good, but be sure you accommodate ventilation for it, too. These things generate heat and need to dump air, too.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 06-18-2019, 06:39 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
Enclosure good, but be sure you accommodate ventilation for it, too. These things generate heat and need to dump air, too.
Copy that. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2019, 10:59 PM
CAMaster owner

I have a stinger sr44 and I put it off to the side of my machine now. I love the hurricane but it gave me quite the scare a few months back, one of the vacuum motors decided to burn up while cutting, as the smoke billowed out from under my machine the panic set in. I had the hurricane behind my machine in a position that was not conducive to get to it in an emergency I will not make that mistake again. All I could think of was, thank god it wasnít under my machine. The black box guys were awesome and said that sometimes a bad vacuum motor gets out there and they promptly sent me another one. So now the machine is set up with disconnects that I can unhook and drag the vacuum outside of my garage within a few minutes.

After changing the vacuum motor my mind was eased knowing that it is pretty much all metal thereís very little combustible material in the system. The guys at black box are awesome and my hurricane works like a charm.

2016 Stinger II SR-44
3.0 kW Spindle
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.xx

www.cool-signs.com
Old 06-20-2019, 01:15 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Walters View Post
I have a stinger sr44 and I put it off to the side of my machine now. I love the hurricane but it gave me quite the scare a few months back, one of the vacuum motors decided to burn up while cutting, as the smoke billowed out from under my machine the panic set in. I had the hurricane behind my machine in a position that was not conducive to get to it in an emergency I will not make that mistake again. All I could think of was, thank god it wasnít under my machine. The black box guys were awesome and said that sometimes a bad vacuum motor gets out there and they promptly sent me another one. So now the machine is set up with disconnects that I can unhook and drag the vacuum outside of my garage within a few minutes.

After changing the vacuum motor my mind was eased knowing that it is pretty much all metal thereís very little combustible material in the system. The guys at black box are awesome and my hurricane works like a charm.
WOW! Now that is something I had not thought of! Then again the only other spot is next to a wall in the garage. Do you have yours on wheels so you could wheel it out? What kind of disconnects did you use?
Old 06-20-2019, 08:22 AM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krvnrch View Post
WOW! Now that is something I had not thought of! Then again the only other spot is next to a wall in the garage. Do you have yours on wheels so you could wheel it out? What kind of disconnects did you use?
I just use the rubber connectors between the pvc pipe from each vacuum area to the hurricane. Changing the vacuum motor was a piece of cake, if it was mounted under machine I believe it would be a much larger job.

2016 Stinger II SR-44
3.0 kW Spindle
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.xx

www.cool-signs.com
Old 06-20-2019, 10:31 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Walters View Post
I just use the rubber connectors between the pvc pipe from each vacuum area to the hurricane. Changing the vacuum motor was a piece of cake, if it was mounted under machine I believe it would be a much larger job.
Thank you so much for passing on your experience! I will heed it and go back to the drawing board...

And thank you again to the rest of you for your help. Sometimes it takes a village!
Old 06-20-2019, 10:44 AM
CAMaster Owner

I had a motor blow too. It left pieces of fan blade in the exhaust port section. Made one hell of a bang. Replacement was easy. And I did it while the unit was under the table.
Aspire