CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The CAMhead Locker Room! > Charlie L

Old 02-17-2021, 08:42 AM
CAMaster Owner

Iíll get hold of a steel rod then. Thatís a good idea. And then I can shim the jig before clamping. The other thing I had to do was reverse the bolt on my T-track clamps and put the knob on the inside of the jig. I just put the bolts through one of the dog holes with a big washer for the knob. Had to use a wrench for the bolt. If I get serious about this, Iíll just get some shorter bolts and make my own clamps.

I tried to attach a couple pictures of the jig I made. But photo uploads are broken for me. It has a replaceable top piece to act as a waste board.

How were you able to clamp your workpiece without the clamps getting in the way of the motor?
Aspire
Old 02-17-2021, 09:09 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgmarine View Post
Thanks but I'm not sure if that's true. The prep guides only show the dimensions for the Stinger 1 with the recoil setup. I've also looked at a lot of the used Stinger 1 24 machines for sale and they all show the overhanging gantry. I figured they shipped it that way to allow for the 4th axis to be added later but I don't think that's really an option.
Bottom line is that I'm not sure but I'll find out soon.
If I'm not mistaken, Stinger I only has one gantry length and it's extended on the right side, 4th axis or not, unlike the larger machines. If so, there will be programming changes required to open up the x-axis travel to go beyond the spoilboard and obviously a way to support the vertical jig. Folks with a Stinger II like I have or a larger machine could put a slot in the regular table to work up a vertical machining capability, although clamping would be an exercise.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 02-17-2021, 09:41 AM
Cobra Owner

I can believe it's rock solid. That's an amazing design. Well done!
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 02-17-2021, 09:59 AM
Cobra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Y View Post
Did you bolt your lathe to the ground by your table or are you relying on the weight of the lathe to keep it still? I have a Nova 1624 that I don't use as much as I should. I keep thinking about moving it over by my machine and giving programming a whirl over there. Any insight you have would be great.

Charlie, forgot to say I love your jig! If I ever put the recoil rails back on my machine I'm going to copy your jig. I had one on before for dovetails, but didn't like it. Not sturdy enough.

Logan, I didn't actually bolt my lathe to the floor, I used PL Premium around the base to keep it from moving. But its about 500lbs, so it doesn't move much anyway, and the glue keeps it pretty solid. I did shim it a little so it was parallel to my Cobra Y rails (my concrete floor is not perfectly flat, so my Cobra is also shimmed a little).

My advice would be to play around with feeds and speeds and bits until you get a smoothness you like. I was told that it was impossible to get smooth cuts, but I found that using a 1/2" downcut endmill and having the stock rotate up into the cutter gives me a very smooth cut. I cut on the side, with my endmill 1/2" below the centre of rotation. The downcut edges then shear the wood as it rotates up into them, and I'm only taking very light cuts (12ipm feed, and the lathe rotates at 300ipm, so each rotation I'm only taking off 0.04" which would be my 'stepover'.

As an aside, since you are not using the 'end' of the endmill, you can use old 1/2" endmills that are dull at the end, but still sharp 1/2" back from the end! Or lower a little further to get to the sharp portion of the end mill that never gets used in normal cutting.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 02-17-2021, 11:27 AM
Stinger II Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVE2000 View Post
I tried to attach a couple pictures of the jig I made. But photo uploads are broken for me. It has a replaceable top piece to act as a waste board.

How were you able to clamp your workpiece without the clamps getting in the way of the motor?
Gary,
My clamps use 2.25 inch Tee bolts. The clearance is just over 3 inches from the vertical table top to the motor housing. So, I know it works for smaller lumbar and maybe up to a little over 2 inches. I'll have to keep an eye on the big pieces.

Given the larger phone photo sizes now days, I find that I always have to shrink the size of the image by about 40% to enable uploads. See if that helps others.

Thanks all for the comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spoilboard.jpg (91.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-17-2021, 12:46 PM
CAMaster Owner

Cool. Nice solution.

I figured the photos may be too big, so I looked at their sizes on disc on my Mac. The HEIC version are just over 1MB. The jpeg versions are around 3.3MB. Reducing the actual picture size like you suggested allowed me to upload them. They're less than a meg each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1419 2 copy.jpg (92.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1422.jpg (93.0 KB, 31 views)
Aspire
Old 02-17-2021, 07:30 PM
Stinger II Owner

Here is a CRV file if you want to save it for later use. Notice there is a 1 degree pitch relative to the base rails.
Attached Files
File Type: crv Dove Tail Fixture 1.crv (680.0 KB, 10 views)