CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > New Forum Members

Old 07-01-2020, 01:57 PM
CAMaster Owner

JK, one of the benefits of at least checking out an available guitar file that's in the style/geometry you are going to build is to "see how they did it", especially if you're relatively new to the software and toolpathing. I only bought one guitar file and one bass file and they have been very helpful in my understanding of certain things. But there's certainly no harm in exploring things independently and working from some PDFs of existing instruments to get the metrics and geometry together that work for the style you. After working with that one set of files, I can pretty much make something I like and know that it will work as expected. Folks who have built them the "old fashioned, non-CNC way" previously also know things that I didn't since I started out right from the CNC side and had limited knowledge of guitars.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com

Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-01-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:43 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
JK, one of the benefits of at least checking out an available guitar file that's in the style/geometry you are going to build is to "see how they did it", especially if you're relatively new to the software and toolpathing. I only bought one guitar file and one bass file and they have been very helpful in my understanding of certain things. But there's certainly no harm in exploring things independently and working from some PDFs of existing instruments to get the metrics and geometry together that work for the style you. After working with that one set of files, I can pretty much make something I like and know that it will work as expected. Folks who have built them the "old fashioned, non-CNC way" previously also know things that I didn't since I started out right from the CNC side and had limited knowledge of guitars.
I will definitely check it out. I'm not big on shooting down options. I contemplated asking Mario Martin, who owns a CAMaster, but since he makes guitars for a living I don't think he would help me out even being a part of the CAMmunity. <--ha see what i did there?

Of course there are some other things I would like to make, but we shall see where life sends me. I try to at least make one simple design a day in Fusion, though I think I may jump to Aspire for some things if/when i get my machine
Old 07-01-2020, 07:26 PM
CAMaster Owner

I will tell you this...using the CNC for guitars is a great experience...not only can the machine do the basic grunt-work, the ability to design "virtually" is enlightening and enjoyable! It leaves more precious time for the finesse work that's the crux of building quality guitars.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 07-02-2020, 09:37 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
I will tell you this...using the CNC for guitars is a great experience...not only can the machine do the basic grunt-work, the ability to design "virtually" is enlightening and enjoyable! It leaves more precious time for the finesse work that's the crux of building quality guitars.
This is pretty much my thoughts as well. I understand the CNC is just another tool, and I am willing to bet that a lot of projects are found overwhelming without the CAD assistance. I know I would. The biggest benefit of the software portion to me is that if I screw up, i'm not out anything except time and can go back and fix my mistakes with minimal effort. On top of all that, I'm actually laying in bed as I made this table and mug. Best part of this portion is being lazy and productive simultaneously.

They are both a WIP, but my goal is to set up a template which can easily be modified to fit the needs. The mug is in two bodies right now, since I randomly drew a handle and knew I would want to change it before joining. Custom handles/mugs maybe?

End goal is to have guitars made, too. Right now, they may be pushed back as I don't see myself being able to see a return immediately. I will have to make a few prototypes for marketing, though.

Maybe even offer design services for people who have a hobby machine, but no knowledge in design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firsttable.jpg (14.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg firstmug.jpg (7.3 KB, 5 views)