CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > Vectric - Aspire

Old 11-12-2020, 10:06 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default V Carve Pro - is there a way to create a spiral pocket?

Hello,

I was cutting a 5/8" thick piece of aluminum yesterday to create a 5/8 hole with a 1.188 x 3/16 deep counterbore. I used pocket toolpaths for both with a 1/4" cutter.

I was successful, but what I don't like about the pocket toolpath is when cutting the counterbore, the cutter laterally plunges into the wall to create the final O.D. This puts a lot of load on the cutter with resulting noise. In the pocket toolpath there is only an option to put leads on Z axis plunges. I think there should be some other options:
1. Spiral
2. Ramp
3. Lead in - I think this would solve my current problem

I think any of these 3 would help.

Am I missing something in my toolpath that would lessen the side load on the cutter when making pockets?
Duluth, GA
CAMaster Stinger 1 23
FTC, Laser Cross Hair
Vectric V Carve Pro
Remote Handheld Keypad
Solid Edge 2020
Old 11-12-2020, 10:18 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

If you have not already done so, you may want to post this in the Vectric forums so that Vectric staff sees it. There are a number of things that many folks would like Vectric to add to the toolpath venue that support more efficient clearing for pockets, etc.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 11-12-2020, 10:32 AM
CAMaster Owner

Oh how I wish Vectric would come out with a ramping interpolating pocket toolpath for holes. A member on here wrote a gadget for this but it looks like it has to be programmed and set at certain XY points on the table, not for "selecting every hole after you've laid out or nested your design". I would love one that you can select all the holes on your nest and it automatically apply the interpolation to them and figure it out with whatever bit you've selected. Maybe that's in the works.

For the OP, try ramping inside pocket cuts for the holes. That'll give you more options for leads and ramps. You have have to end up drawing a smaller hole inside the finished hole and running 2 toolpaths, one to clear and one to finish to size.
5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
WinCNC
VcarvePro 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum
Old 11-12-2020, 04:36 PM
CAMaster Owner

Hello,

I think I may have to adjust the stepover amount to get less lateral force. I cut it down from 40% to 10%. I realized that 40% of .250 is .100 which is the amount cutter was being shoved into the side wall of the counterbore.

I am using the ramping option, but that only applies to z axis plunging.

It seems a spiral path would help keep constant forces on the cutter rather than a sudden side load.

I'm going to copy my original post and put it on the Vectric forum as recommended.

Kyle
Duluth, GA
CAMaster Stinger 1 23
FTC, Laser Cross Hair
Vectric V Carve Pro
Remote Handheld Keypad
Solid Edge 2020
Old 11-12-2020, 05:26 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Yes, playing with various settings for the actual tool can often help you zero in on behavior that's at least close to what you want. Decreasing stepover for that toolpath really cuts down the bite, but the balancing act is that it also slows down the completion of the toolpath. Nature of the beast. :)

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 11-12-2020, 06:19 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
For the OP, try ramping inside pocket cuts for the holes. That'll give you more options for leads and ramps. You have have to end up drawing a smaller hole inside the finished hole and running 2 toolpaths, one to clear and one to finish to size.

I made a typo, I meant to say ".....try a ramping inside PROFILE cut for the holes....."
5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
WinCNC
VcarvePro 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum
Old 11-13-2020, 09:17 AM
Cobra Owner

If I'm creating a rectangle pocket, I just draw a few rectangles the distance apart that I want my stepover to be. Then I profile cut inside each successive rectangle using the spiral profile tool path. Takes only a few extra seconds (you can use the offset tool to make all the new, smaller vectors).
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 11-13-2020, 12:11 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
Oh how I wish Vectric would come out with a ramping interpolating pocket toolpath for holes. A member on here wrote a gadget for this but it looks like it has to be programmed and set at certain XY points on the table, not for "selecting every hole after you've laid out or nested your design". I would love one that you can select all the holes on your nest and it automatically apply the interpolation to them and figure it out with whatever bit you've selected. Maybe that's in the works.
The latest version will allow you to select ANY circle and create a spiral for cutting. You could even select a shape like a rectangle, but it always creates circular spirals.

https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=32546
Aspire