CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > Vacuum, work holding, dust collection

Old 11-19-2019, 04:24 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default DIY 2-stage Dust Collection Conversion

In anticipation of a pt-404 I am looking to get set up with dust, airr and power:

Wondering if anyone here has experience converting a single stage dust collector into 2 stage.

Ive got a 'spare' 2hp Grrzzly single stage collector and was thinking about linking it up to a Super Dust Deputy (or similar cyclone product) down to a 55 gallon drum : also looking into using a WYNN rigid filter.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!
Old 11-19-2019, 05:19 PM
CAMaster Owner

I used to use a "SUPER DUST DEPUTY!!!" on one of those metal ace garbage cans then it hooked to a Jet 3hp dc I vented outside. No reason why you couldn't vent through a filter stack.

I actually still use 30gal catch can under my cyclone. I can pick it up and dump it without feeling like I'm wrestling a bear.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 11-19-2019, 06:23 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekb View Post
Ive got a 'spare' 2hp Grrzzly single stage collector and was thinking about linking it up to a Super Dust Deputy (or similar cyclone product) down to a 55 gallon drum : also looking into using a WYNN rigid filter.

I have this EXACT configuration minus the filter. I still have the bag attached which doesn't get much debris in it at all. Mine is piped outside under a lean-to, otherwise I would've went with a filter. Will try to take some pics when I get home. There are plenty of YouTube videos of people doing this with lots of different designs which all work really well. Just set yours up however will work best for you. I saved a ton of $$$ doing this myself.
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 11-19-2019, 11:23 PM
Stinger I Owner

Many many years ago H&G wood mag. had plans on how to build a cyclone dust collector. I made it works great, I did use there instructions for the exhaust filter but it got crushed and I didn't want to spend another $75.00 on a new one. So I changed that for a metal garbage can with a filter bag on top works just as good if not better. this is connect to all the machines in the shop, I have it so when a blast gate is opened it turns it on. I'll be running the cnc and using the table saw I don't really see any reduction in suction.
1.7 kw spindle
Digit. Probe, laser pointer,Aspire,WinCNC
Old 11-21-2019, 11:44 AM
CAMaster Owner

Here ya go. Ladder not included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC.jpg (87.9 KB, 47 views)
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 11-21-2019, 09:54 PM
CAMaster owner

I did the exact same thing and it worked well. I had s 1.5hp grizzly and upgraded to a Wynn filter over th3 bag. Then a year later I added a super dust deputy and it was an improvement. I recall the dust deputy had a weird 7” port, not sure if that’s still the case. It was a good fix as I saved for my cyclone.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:06 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

I use a Wynn and a home brew 25 gallon separator - Wynn is great, keep in mind it will eventually get clogged even with the separator, just not nearly as quick. My collector started bogging out and I thought it was ready to die, turned out the filter was so clogged it couldn't breathe, I probably got 30 lbs of dust out of it then the collector worked fine [reminds me, am probably due to clean it out again].
I had the bright idea of installing a plexiglas window in the plastic garbage can separator so I could visually see when it gets full, bad idea. Was a source of leaks until I ended up epoxying it, caulk just wouldn't do, and its so dusty in there you can't see the dust level anyhow.

There is a specific forum dedicated to only home brew separator lids, lots of info and gurus here http://www.jpthien.com/smf/

This guy has a boatload of collector/air quality research and info http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Stinger 1
Old 11-22-2019, 08:20 AM
CAMaster Owner

thanks so much for all the positive feedback ! I will try to post an update in the coming weeks when all of the supplies are in order and power gets dropped!

probably going to wire in a switch of some kind for the motor as it appears it will soon be in a hard to reach location !
Old 11-22-2019, 09:54 AM
CAMaster Owner

I wired a remote controlled and manual switch box next to my CNC which is about 30' away from my dust collector. I can carry the remote around with me and turn on the DC if I'm across the shop at my miter bench or table saw. Saves a good many steps.
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum