CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger I (Table Top)

Old 01-12-2020, 08:08 PM
CAMhead Guest

Default Feasible to move Stinger I to basement?

Want to buy a Stinger 1 Sr24 but my machine will have to go to the basement. Top of stairs is a 30" door. Is it feasible to move this machine through a door this size and down a flight of stairs? DImension drawings on web page indicate the machine height is taller than the door opening so even on its side it may not work. Is there anything that can be dissembled from the gantry to make it possible or easier?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:38 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

I think you would need to enlarge that opening.

I realize some folks don't have a choice but I sure would not want that machine in my house, even with top notch dust collection, alot of fine dust escapes and it will permeate the entire house.

Stinger 1
Old 01-12-2020, 11:08 PM
Stinger I Owner

I took the gantry off mine moved it down stairs with out a problem.
1.7 kw spindle
Digit. Probe, laser pointer,Aspire,WinCNC
Old 01-13-2020, 10:19 AM
CAMaster Owner

A Stinger I tipped on edge will easily fit through a 30" door. The gantry will need to be absolutely tied down for this (remove the router if you don't have a spindle to reduce weight) and two strong people should be able to carry it.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 01-13-2020, 12:53 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
I think you would need to enlarge that opening.

I realize some folks don't have a choice but I sure would not want that machine in my house, even with top notch dust collection, alot of fine dust escapes and it will permeate the entire house.
I have my machine in my basement and my Wife was very concerned about the dust from my shop. When I built the walls for my shop I wrapped it with thick poly before installing the plywood walls and sealed all holes where dust could go. I have a 3hp Onieda DC with all steel piping to each machine with blast gates and two Jet ceiling dust collectors. I also have a air quality meter so I know when I have dust and to turn on or up the ceiling DC. The only time I get a lot of dust is when I forget to turn on my DC especially if I am resurfacing my spoilboard.

My sliding miter saw puts out the most dust even with my four inch collect on the large hood and that is where my ceiling DC is located. I have been working in my shop for over five years now and no complaints from my Wife.

I agree with Doug dust will get upstairs if precautions are not taken. The worse dust is the dust you cannot see which will get into your lungs and it is a carcinogen. If I had an option I certainly would have build a separate building but I didn't and it is convenient to just walk downstairs to work. Of course you will have much noise so that is a factor for others in the house.
Fortunately, my Wife works with me in the shop and there is only the two of us. Doug is correct there is much to think about before starting a shop in the basement. IMHO.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net

Last edited by keithrhyde; 01-13-2020 at 12:54 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-13-2020, 02:36 PM
CAMaster Owner

Dang guys, if you have that much dust in your shops should you be in there? Sounds pretty dangerous!

I have a basement shop with good dust collection and really have not noticed any significant dust problems. All machines, including the Stinger, automatically activate DC and open the associated blast gate. The only time I notice any dust issues is when hand sanding and that's quite minor. The living space of our home is reasonably free of wood dust. Perhaps the 'cloud' from the dogs and the kids is so massive that we don't notice a bit of wood dust. Always possible.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:12 PM
CAMhead Guest

Wow- this forum is really helpful- Thanks!

My whole fairly complete shop is in the basement and I have good dust solutions . Noise fortunately my family puts up with well. I will likely take the gantry off then for clearance.

Carl
Old 01-13-2020, 07:01 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.davison View Post
Dang guys, if you have that much dust in your shops should you be in there? Sounds pretty dangerous!

I have a basement shop with good dust collection and really have not noticed any significant dust problems. All machines, including the Stinger, automatically activate DC and open the associated blast gate. The only time I notice any dust issues is when hand sanding and that's quite minor. The living space of our home is reasonably free of wood dust. Perhaps the 'cloud' from the dogs and the kids is so massive that we don't notice a bit of wood dust. Always possible.
Depends alot on what and how you cut, mdf can be a bad culprit, especially when the dust shoe goes over the edge of the table.

Stinger 1
Old 01-13-2020, 09:36 PM
CAMaster Owner

Cwilk, if you can avoid removing the gantry, please do so. Tipping the machine on its edge should present a horizontal footprint that's much less that your 30" door and if you tie things down well, no harm will come and you'll be left with far less adjustment, etc., to do once it's downstairs in your shop. Note that when I say to tip it, I mean after you remove it from any stand... ;)

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 01-13-2020, 11:18 PM
CAMhead Guest

Jim,
I'll certainly take the most sensible approach I can. I reached tech support also today and they think the clearance required if on it's side is just over 35" from bottom of feet to top of gantry assembly. If it turns out to be less and will fit I'll certainly leave it on. They advised unbolting the cross rail of the gantry, turning it to align with the long bed dimension and strapping it down to the bed of the machine to go through the door and down the stairs. This doesn't require unterminating any wiring. They think this has minimum realignment effort to re-square the machine. Also I can take off the spindle if needed to lower weight but this will require re-tramming the spindle as well. ( they'll send me the proceedure if I need it.)

Tom, is this what you meant by removing the gantry when you moved yours down stairs?

Again thanks for all the expertise you all offer.
Carl