CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

Old 01-14-2020, 08:20 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Nick-names, etc...

I suppose this has been hashed over here before, but I really don't understand the reasoning for not using your real names...... it's not like your giving out your Social Security #, or, in Canada, your Social Insurance #. Why the anonymity?

Although I can be as improper as the next guy, I believe in addressing anyone with whom I'm conversing by their name. This is on my mind because Ugly Sign gave me a lead on some bits, & calling him "Ug" is just disrespectful. Guitarwes ........ well, I'm guessing your name might be "Wes", not "Guit". There are scores more that slip my mind at the moment .

I have 3 given names ..... T.R. are the second & third. I overheard Neal Meyers Jr, telling someone the biggest surprise he got from visiting Canada was that everyone here calls me Rodger. LOL I answer to "T.R." just as well.

Truckers used to have CB radio "Handles" . I preferred TR or Rodger, back in my previous life on the highway.. Some guys were paranoid about anyone finding out their real names. Perhaps they should have worn a condom ..........
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3

Last edited by T.R.MacMunn; 01-14-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:01 PM
Cobra Owner

I agree Rodger!

There is only one forum where I don't use my real name anymore. A colleague I never met in person was offended by something I posted, and for the past 4 years has been posting extremely nasty reviews about me on ratemd.com on a monthly basis. Something like that can really destroy your trust in humanity.

So while it is nice to know everyone by their real name, I do understand some people's hesitancy. Everything posted ANYWHERE on the internet is open to the public forever. Some day when we convince Rodger to run for PM of Canada, his CAMheads posts might come back to bite him in the proverbial ass
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 01-14-2020, 09:53 PM
CAMhead Legend

I am using my real name...Ö.or am I?
Old 01-14-2020, 11:15 PM
Stinger I Owner

I agree with you Rodger. Although with my name all the way through school I was known as ASS but then they would get yelled at for swearing in school. So they changed it to A-hole or just hole. I don't see any of the guys I hung around with anymore but once in a great while like at the fair I'll hear some one yell hole and sure enough it's some one I know. It is definitely a unique nick name.
1.7 kw spindle
Digit. Probe, laser pointer,Aspire,WinCNC
Old 01-14-2020, 11:19 PM
CAMaster Owner

I donít think the bulk of the people are ď hiding ď from anything. Up until recently I had Cnccutter here because thatís how I made a living. I carried that over many forums. I have always had my real name in the signature line too.

Itís also a sign of the time kids and younger people do use something other than theyíre real name a lot. Unfortunately we do live in different times and we do need to be careful what we have out there for public consumption.

Erik

Stinger I SR24 11/27/17
Performance package Pro:
2" Gantry Lift
FTC Fast Tool Change
Laser Cross Hair
Counter Balance
Tee Track Table
Kent Dust Shoe
WinCNC
Aspire 9.5
Rhino
Old 01-15-2020, 05:39 AM
CAMaster Owner, (MOD, KOTR)

My " real " last name was change by my fathers 5th grade teacher when he was in school...She couldn't pronounce it...LOL So what you see is what she gave him....Now you know why I'm so confused...

Michael

3-D Modeling
https://carveddetails.com

mm@mezalick.com
Old 01-15-2020, 07:57 AM
CAMaster Owner

LOL I guess I should re-phrase that. I honestly don't care if you post under a nickname , what you do, or whatever. BUT .... at least put a first name, initials, or something of that nature into the signature line too.
I understand some of the reasons for not using your real names. I think almost anyone can see most forums, & if someone sees you have a lot of nice tools in your shop, & you happen to post that you're off to the beach next week, it could open a door for someone to clean you out while you're away. If you have a name on there, & what you do, it's pretty easy to find where someone lives &/or works.
I've done it myself .... a few years ago, I had a fellow send me an e-mail re wanting a big sign made from Alaska Yellow Cedar. His name was "Stormy" something, & I guessed he was in Alaska. I found him within 20 minutes, in a very remote part of Alaska, & this was long before I had Facebook.
But ...if you're responding to a comment someone made in a thread, but not to the original poster, it's a lot easier if you can start out with " Shaquille .... I respectfully disagree....."
I'd rather not call anyone I don't know well "Ug". No offense, Ug ........
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 01-15-2020, 11:41 AM
CAMaster Owner

I've used this username for 20+ years after getting my first random generated email address in the late 1990's........guitarwes@iwon.com (I don't use this anymore). I keep using it because it keeps me from forgetting what to enter when I sign in to tons of online sites and different forums. Heck, I use so many digits and passwords that I punched in my PIN code into the microwave the other day......I'm loosing it. My name is in my sig line now.
5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
WinCNC
VcarvePro 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum
Old 01-15-2020, 12:08 PM
CAMaster Owner

For a very long time, it's pretty much "normal" to use "handles" for online chat groups. Some of that came from "back in the day" when user names were very limited in characters/length and some came from folks feeling more secure not revealing who they are in full. I still use my "Jim_in_PA" handle for a few online communities that are interesting but "incidental", but use my "real name" for those where I have more investment, including here and (as has always been required), Sawmillcreek.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 01-15-2020, 02:06 PM
Camaster Owner

Funny but true story...and they say I have an attitude.

I live in Quebec, Canada and my real name is Michel, a very common French name for boys. Back in the 60's when in grade school, there were 3 Michel's in my Grade 7 class...2 boys (Michel) and one girl (Michelle). The teacher was having difficulty getting the right student to respond so he wanted to rename us :( I was against this.

He said to the girl...you're a girl so we'll keep your name as Michelle.
To my friend, he said we'll call you Michael instead of Michel.
And to me, he said he'd call me Mike.

I said no...by name is Michel. Not my fault you can't keep us straight. I will not respond to Mike. I then said...if you want, you can call me Mr. Firlotte.

And he did. So in Grade 7, I was Mr. Firlotte.

Then in the 90's while in western Canada (mostly English), my wife's little girl couldn't stop laughing that a man could be called Michel. So I adopted the name Mitch.

And that's where I am today :)
Stinger 1 (2014)
1.7Kw spindle / Recoil Lathe
Performance Package (FTC / On-Off via G-code / Laser Cross Hair)
Aspire 8 / WinCNC / Hexagon
Epilog 45watt Laser