CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Recoil Indexing Lathe (4th Axis)

Old 05-11-2019, 01:57 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Indexing lathe 101

Okay so I am about to load first index lathe file on my used machine. I noticed the machine couldn't even reach the chuck centre in x before hitting limit switches so did some tolerance checking and noticed the whole unit was out of level as it was sagged. I made some levelling legs to keep it levelled. After that I touched edge of chuck with bit and manually jogged to centre with math and did same with top. Cleared all blue and green boxes and wrote down all coordinates. This would be my perfect z and y based on this particular bit setup.

My question is this, how does it know lathe centre in z and y centre for differing bit setups? I have touch pad that normally measures off spoil board zero. Me levelling it I would hope brought it back to factory location for y but it may be a bit off. Little help for first timer please
Old 05-11-2019, 08:09 PM
CAMaster Owner

Ok I think I have it figured out after reading more of Mick's stuff. I guess I just have to zero the X to the centre of the A axis prior to cutting and also measure the tool from the A z Zero height prior to machining as well. This is easy with the home position and the position options after I recorded the parameters. I think I am ready to go.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:37 PM
CAMaster Owner

I think the hardest part is getting z-zero set to the center of rotation. Just eyeballing it with a cone in the tail stock works pretty good in most cases but not exact enough for some projects. After measuring the tool and with a little trial and error I have cut a block of wood to length and set it on the recoil rails. Then use the "Touch Top" plate to set a temporary z-zero. Remove everything, type Z0 to move the spindle to Z0 and Calibrate Switch. There may be easier ways but it works for me and it's easy to repeat.
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 9.5
Old 05-12-2019, 10:06 AM
Cobra Owner

I usually set my X0Y0 by eye, then round a piece of stock from the side and measure its diameter, then round from the top and measure its diameter. The radius from the top should match your Z-height. The radius from the side cut should match your X position PLUS half the diameter of your tool. Then you can adjust your zeros according to how much these measurements are off.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 05-12-2019, 12:06 PM
CAMhead Friend

Russell,
Thanks for the suggestion. Like Steve, I'm at a point where fine-tuning matters for certain types of cuts, i.e. barley twist bits.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:28 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
I think the hardest part is getting z-zero set to the center of rotation. Just eyeballing it with a cone in the tail stock works pretty good in most cases but not exact enough for some projects. After measuring the tool and with a little trial and error I have cut a block of wood to length and set it on the recoil rails. Then use the "Touch Top" plate to set a temporary z-zero. Remove everything, type Z0 to move the spindle to Z0 and Calibrate Switch. There may be easier ways but it works for me and it's easy to repeat.
Thats pretty clever, Steve. Im gonna have to try that procedure out. Thanks for the tip!
For me, the hardest part is remembering to recalibrate the switch to the spoilboard after using the indexing lathe.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 05-12-2019, 01:51 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjg View Post
Thats pretty clever, Steve. Im gonna have to try that procedure out. Thanks for the tip!
For me, the hardest part is remembering to recalibrate the switch to the spoilboard after using the indexing lathe.
You can use the same procedure for setting z-zero to the spoilboard. Of course this is all predicated on the accuracy of your Touch Top plate. Remembering to do it is a different matter. I have a good memory. It's just real short.
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 9.5

Last edited by SteveNelson46; 05-12-2019 at 02:05 PM.