CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Cobra CNC Routers

Old 12-28-2018, 05:46 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Question to 10" high gantry machines owners

I'm looking at Buying a used Cobra machine with a taller Gantry. I'm worried about rigidity issues with the tall Gantry. I cut mostly cabinet parts and MDF doors. I'm worried the tall Gantry will leave me with chatter in the cuts on the MDF doors. this is the Number one thing I'm trying to solve By going to a more Ridged Machine.

the second question is. I have an ATC Spindle and want to put it on the machine are the frames the same length on the ATC and Non ATC machines? Or can someone tell me the length of there ATC machine so I have a reference. Im looking at an 8 foot machine.

thanks for your help in advance
Old 12-29-2018, 09:52 AM
CAMaster Owner

I have some experience with this subject.
I purchased my machine used and the original owner upgraded to a 12" gantry.
Because I was a newbie and didn't know ANYTHING about CNC, that didn't even cross my mind.
I can tell you from experience of cutting nothing but cabinets, there is ZERO flex or play in the spindle. These machines are built like tanks and I really don't even see the need to move to the steel gantry on the new machines.
They say the cut rates are even higher, but from my limited knowledge, the hold down is generally your limiting factor.
If you can hold it, it will cut it, and at amazing speeds.

Done think twice about a 10" gantry and consider it an upgrade.

On your second question, if you are mounting the ATC on an existing machine, you could do like Mr. Mcgrew ( see his posts for pictures) and mount the tool bar on the side of the machine instead of the end. That way it would not need to add to the length of the machine and you could always fabricate a mount for the side mounted tools.

Stay in touch with this group and let us know what you decided on the machine. This place is a wealth of information and free of charge.

Doug S
Old 12-29-2018, 04:05 PM
CAMhead Friend

thanks Doug

I was thinking the same I just had to hear it from some one that has done it. Now I have to talk my Scottish self into it. that usually the hard part.