CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2019, 11:42 AM
Cobra Owner

Default Any telltale signs that a spindle is about to go bad?

Hi Guys,

I had my Cobra 510 with the 3K watt HSD spindle in storage for about four long years and just got my shop operational in my new location about 4 months ago. The spindle had about 3-4 hundred hours on it before storage so it shouldn't be at the end of it's mechanical life, but maybe the storage was hard on the bearings.

I have been noticing some variable frequency whining noise when running the warm-up procedure and sometimes when cutting parts.

The whining seems more pronounced when I have my Amana 3 wing 2-3/4" surfacing bit installed, but that bit causes a lot of extra noise just due to airflow when spinning so it could be just due to the bit shape and size.

It is still cutting accurately but I just don't remember the way it sounded from 4 years ago.

Any feedback would be appreciated - I don't want to have a catastrophic failure that results in a 2 week delay getting it back online!

Thanks,

Terry
Old 02-04-2019, 01:16 PM
CAMhead Legend

I was told by HSD that when you store a spindle you should keep flipping 45% every month and spin the collet
Old 02-04-2019, 01:50 PM
Cobra Owner

Well, I can verify that I never did that - it sat in a storage facility in Foristell Missouri for 4 years virtually untouched!

I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to hook it up and go without any significant issues.