CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > Vacuum, work holding, dust collection

Old 09-11-2020, 11:40 AM
CAMhead Friend

Default utility closet for vacuum?

Hi guys,

Questions for vacuum users as I finalize plans for new construction.

1) Can I put a 15-20HP FPZ in a utility closet? What kind of air return will i need

2) Issues with sharing the utility closet with dust collector and air compressor, hot water tank, and circuit breakers? Already a bit concerned about dust collector sharing space with air compressor

3) How far can the FPZ be from machine- is there a max distance?

thanks again,
Anthony

P.S. Utitity room is appx. 8'*8'
Old 09-11-2020, 12:14 PM
CAMaster Owner

my biggest concern would be if the hot water tank is gas. if electric - disregard. if gas, the (positive) air pressures being applied to the room from the vac and dust collector could affect the air/burn dynamics of the h2o htr. it would be good if you could exhaust both of those back into the room from which it came.

the second concern would be the amount of heat being generated in there, can you cool it enough? and would it affect the life of the equipment?

circuit breaker panels require 3' clearance in front of them (NEC)
Old 09-11-2020, 02:22 PM
Cobra Owner

You will also get fine dust in your air compressor. If you can, have a pipe come in from outside to the intake on the compressor.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 09-11-2020, 03:09 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
my biggest concern would be if the hot water tank is gas. if electric - disregard. if gas, the (positive) air pressures being applied to the room from the vac and dust collector could affect the air/burn dynamics of the h2o htr. it would be good if you could exhaust both of those back into the room from which it came.
Tim, thanks for the response. I was worried about the same thing. I haven't spec'd out the system yet for the space so unclear if it will be gas or electric.

Quote:
the second concern would be the amount of heat being generated in there, can you cool it enough? and would it affect the life of the equipment?
Yes this is a very valid concern and not something I am familiar with. Not sure how hot the vacuum will run. I was planning on creating an air return for the dust collection and air compressor but don't know how much I will need to add for the vacuum. Perhaps the air return for all three will be so large that it will defeat any of the sound mitigation?

Quote:
circuit breaker panels require 3' clearance in front of them (NEC)
thank you!
Old 09-11-2020, 03:21 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford View Post
You will also get fine dust in your air compressor.
Thank you Russell! I have heard about this and certainly am concerned. Thinking this may also be an issue for the vacuum? Was thinking I might have to create a separate closet for the dust collector within the closet haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford View Post
If you can, have a pipe come in from outside to the intake on the compressor.
Can you explain a bit more about this? Would there be issues with condensation etc. during the colder Maine winters?

I'd love to move the whole compressor outside, but I have a noise sensitive neighbor
Old 09-11-2020, 06:59 PM
Cobra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by locaholic35 View Post
Thank you Russell! I have heard about this and certainly am concerned. Thinking this may also be an issue for the vacuum? Was thinking I might have to create a separate closet for the dust collector within the closet haha

Can you explain a bit more about this? Would there be issues with condensation etc. during the colder Maine winters?

I'd love to move the whole compressor outside, but I have a noise sensitive neighbor
I have a rotary vane compressor with a refrigerated dryer, so this might not work with the normal piston style that doesn't have a single air intake. But I just have a 4" flexible pipe from my air intake filter to the outside. Cold air is actually better, as it holds less moisture than hot air (so when its compressed, less moisture comes out of it). You will get condensation on the outside of the intake pipe in the colder months (the warm air inside your compressor room cools on the outside of the cold pipe and will form condensation). You can use that insulated flexible vent pipe to avoid this issue.

My compressor runs best at about 60C, rather than room temperature. So it is just fine in a smaller room that heats up. But it has a radiator with a fan to cool the oil, which most piston style compressors do not have.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 09-12-2020, 07:23 AM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks Russell,

Just when I think I am making progress, there is more to learn haha. I very much appreciate the feedback!
Old 09-12-2020, 07:26 AM
CAMhead Friend

Any advice on maximum distance an FPZ can be from the CNC? From my digging and searches it appears some people put them in attics. Iím looking at anywhere from 12-25í From the machine to the mechanical room depending on which end of the CNC the piping starts.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:45 PM
CAMaster Owner

Maybe use a heatpump water heater, they give off cold air and use less juice. Of course they cost twice as much:)

If you don't give sound a straight shot out it will make a big difference. You can have a good sized vent, just make a baffle.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik