CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > Work we Produce !!!!

Old 10-16-2020, 06:52 PM
CAMaster Owner

Hmmmm ... does paint "stain" white PVC? How deep are the fine lines in there?
Without brush skills & the correct brushes, it could be a challenge, for sure.
V-carved line-art can be done by removing the unwanted paint with a damp rag before it completely dries, but that depends upon whether or not the paint will stain the PVC. Test on a piece of scrap.
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 10-16-2020, 06:59 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.MacMunn View Post
Hmmmm ... does paint "stain" white PVC? How deep are the fine lines in there?
Without brush skills & the correct brushes, it could be a challenge, for sure.
V-carved line-art can be done by removing the unwanted paint with a damp rag before it completely dries, but that depends upon whether or not the paint will stain the PVC. Test on a piece of scrap.
I've only read, but people say it paints well, using exterior house acrylic. I'll test it to be sure it doesn't stain though.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:07 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
That Sir, is a nice sign. Did you paint the image at the top?
I did. It was my very first hand-painted pictorial on a sign.

As far as painting PVC, it does paint very nicely using exterior acrylic house paint. What I do is paint the top coat, let it dry really good, then apply a vinyl mask. I then cut/carve it, take it off the machine and paint the carved areas, let dry, and then remove the masking.
5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
WinCNC
VcarvePro 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum

Last edited by guitarwes; 10-18-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:58 PM
CAMhead Friend

I started the sign today, and found something unexpected after reading reviews of PVC.
It doesn't V-Carve worth a darn. The deeper the cut (in multiple passes), the worse it gets. I ran the texture toolpath, and had a mess. It looked horrible, and wouldn't clean up. I ended up running an EM to remove the mess. In doing so, I found that it cuts perfectly with an EM. Nice clean, crisp cuts.
The bird/flower image, had to ran twice to clean most of the fuzzies, but it will still require some hand work.
I have one side cut, and I'll get to the other side sometime this week.
Tomorrow, I'm going to pick up a piece of Corian. It's a 2'x4'x1/2" piece, for $20. I couldn't turn it down.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:01 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

You will LOVE cutting the Corian!

I've only cut one small sign from PVC and it turned out fine, but it didn't have anything complicated nor did it have any texture. Bummer to hear you had to flatten that out to have an acceptable surface.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 10-19-2020, 06:52 AM
CAMaster Owner

If it cuts nicely with an end mill, I don't understand why it would not cut clean with a V-bit. And, why are you doing multiple passes? Were you using a V-bit for your texture.....You should be using a .125" tapered ballnose , on a .25" shaft.
Just wondering. I've only used PVC once & that was a profile cut for another shop.
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 10-19-2020, 09:46 AM
CAMaster Owner

I make alot of signs out of pvc and it Vcarves really nice and smooth. What feeds/speeds and bits are you using? What kind of pvc are you using?
Sometimes it the operation, not the material, that messes up. We're here to help if you can give us some particulars.
5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
WinCNC
VcarvePro 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum
Old 10-19-2020, 03:16 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.MacMunn View Post
If it cuts nicely with an end mill, I don't understand why it would not cut clean with a V-bit. And, why are you doing multiple passes? Were you using a V-bit for your texture.....You should be using a .125" tapered ballnose , on a .25" shaft.
Just wondering. I've only used PVC once & that was a profile cut for another shop.
The texture was .25 deep, and I didn't want to snap my only v-bit. It was done in two passes, but the second pass looked like tangled, melted belly lint. The image was v-carved at .08 deep, and it required a second pass to clean most of the belly lint out.

I haven't tried a BN for the texture. That sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a try on my next project.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:20 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Ball Nose or Tapered Ball Nose for the textured background allows cutting right to the edge. A v-bit for that would take chunks out of the border. I generally use a regular, straight .125" ball nose for this, but have used several different TBNs for the effect, depending on scale, since I use it for more than signs. A recent example would be a pet urn project for a client where I used a .0625" TBN for a linen effect per TR's technique. If you do use a TBN, be sure to do a final pass on the second toolpath to clean the edges.

BTW, with PVC, HDU and other "softer" materials of similar nature, you can take a much deeper bite for clearing out things. If you're still wanting to clearout the pocket to a certain depth before doing the texture, use a straight spiral in a separate toolpath and then switch to the BN or TBN in two follow-on toolpaths (two because of the opposing raster angles) either at full depth from the top or with a start depth and appropriate additional depth. You want each of them to do it in one pass.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com

Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-19-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:25 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
I make alot of signs out of pvc and it Vcarves really nice and smooth. What feeds/speeds and bits are you using? What kind of pvc are you using?
Sometimes it the operation, not the material, that messes up. We're here to help if you can give us some particulars.
The brand isn't marked on the PVC, or even on the tag at the store. I got it from Home Depot after reading people using it from there regularly.

The v-bit is an Onsrud 60deg.

I adjusted the feeds and speeds all over, and there wasn't much difference, except worse. I was getting chips, but there was so much fuzz left. Maybe a second clean up pass would have fixed it, but I didn't want to spend that much time running the toolpath, and it not help.
The pocket where the EM ran, is perfect. Smooth bottom, and smooth walls. All in one cut.

What brand of PVC do you recommend/use?

I suppose it could be the material. I'm sure HD doesn't carry the best PVC, and maybe another brand would work better.