CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > Mozaik Software

Old 10-13-2020, 08:51 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Material thickness

Hi folks

I have a few sheets of Baltic birch i am going to make cnc dovetail drawers and trays from. My understanding is that setting the material thickness is critical to have the joints come out nicely. After optimize it is there a way to adjust the material thickness prior to running each of the jobs to reflect the actual thickness of each sheet of plywood?

I know this can be adjusted in the materials library, but that would require doing one sheet, making the change and optimizing again which i think wipes out the prior parts - so in that case as things are optimized again i am not sure i would get all of the parts - in case they move with the new optimization...

Am i nuts or is there a way to do this effectively?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2020, 06:51 AM
CAMaster Owner

whenever i have a very critical cut-to-fit scenario, i masure from the top of the material to the table with calipers, then enter that into the setup. i measure it in several locations around the material and take the average. just what i do.

you have to start with a pretty accurate Z0 to begin with.

Hopefully others will chime in with their methods for better z accuarcy.

Last edited by TimPa; 10-14-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:39 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks - I am anticipating there will be a decent variation between the sheets as well as within a sheet so was hoping to be able to adjust the material thickness for each sheet - that i think would at least giving me a fighting chance. I dont see how to do this and have a training session set up with mosaic for friday so hoping they can help me on that question as well as some others -
Old 10-14-2020, 08:59 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

In Vectric software, if you need to account for small variance between sheets, you can adjust the exact thickness in the Material pane for Toolpathing. Once you make that adjustment, all toolpaths have to be recalculated and it will prompt you to do so. I do this frequently because the material I test on may not be the same exact material I'm cutting the real deal from. Most of the time, a few thou will not matter, but if you have a critical fit situation like you describe, make the adjustment, recalculate and write out a new file to cut for "that sheet". See if Mosaic offers a similar feature for recalculating...I'm not familiar with that system.

That said, slight thickness inconsistency in sheet goods is the norm and even within the same sheet and even with the highest quality products. 'Nature of the beast...

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com

Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-14-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:42 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks jim
Old 10-17-2020, 11:48 AM
CAMaster Owner

Hey folks just to close the loop I spoke to a Mosaic trainer yesterday and he told me there is really no way to do this per sheet, needs to be set in the material library ...
Old 10-17-2020, 01:48 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Bummer, especially given that material really can and IS slightly variable in thickness. For "regular parts" it's not such a big deal, but for what you're trying to do, even a tiny difference can affect fit.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com