CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > Vacuum, work holding, dust collection

Old 09-15-2014, 05:14 PM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

Russell...
Good. I didn't really figure that you didn't know the reason, but I also don't want guys to think that slotting in some gaskets will help the cut. FYI... My version of the gasket for warped lumber was "magical 2" blue tape"

Its like Franks Red Hot.... I put that S#*t on everything!
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 09-18-2014, 10:46 AM
CAMaster owner

Thanks for the video and help. That was very informative. I like it and I wonder if it can be mounted remotely to get it out of the workspace to reduce noise. It looks like it can as long as it is hard piped.

How long have some of you run the black box at one time? My longest rout to date was about 5 hrs with tool changes.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Stinger I Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford View Post
I'd be hesitant to use the vacuum while doing larger 3D carvings, simply because of the time involved. Rather than running a vacuum for 5 hours straight, it might be more practical to use composite nails (Raptor nails and an Omer gun).
I bought a 116765-13, 120 volt Lighthouse Brand Vacuum Motor and made a box for it ( I did not have the money to buy The Storm Black Box which is what I wanted) for my vac table I have run it almost continuously for 6-7 hours at a time with only cutting it off a total of 10-15 minutes. Noisy - yes and the air around the motor was about 140 degrees on the thermometer in the box. It seemed to work fine, should I not do this ? Any danger ?
Aspire 8.something
Wincnc
FTC
Laser Pointer
2 1/4 hp router
Old 09-19-2014, 12:47 AM
Cobra Owner

I don't believe there is any danger, besides burning out your vacuum motor and burning through electricity!

I always do what is most convenient. If I know I'll need the vacuum for 5 hours, its just more convenient for me to shoot in a few composite nails and not have to worry about losing vacuum and having pieces shift (can happen if your piece warps while you are 3D cutting, particularly if the edges warp up).

If I am cutting 2D parts out of a sheet, and changing sheets every 20 minutes, the vacuum is DEFINITELY more convenient than nails.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com