CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > Vacuum, work holding, dust collection

Old 01-11-2019, 09:34 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Relief valve on FPZ sucking air

Since I'm new to vacuum pumps, should it be drawing a lot of air thru the relief valve all the time? Seems like when the vac is on, no matter if all the valves are open or closed or if something is covering the spoilboard, it draws a pretty good amount of air. I bought a new calibrated relief valve from FPZ rated for my blower model. Just checking as to not be screwing up something. I have enough of that as it is.

WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 PM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

Wes...
There should be a published spec on the relief valve in the manual, either attached or online, for your pump model. With all zone valves closed, read the gauge, it should read at that level. If not, there should be adjustment instructions, usually using a wrench (hex or allen) to adjust to the proper vac setting.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 01-16-2019, 09:52 AM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks Gary. The sticker on the relief valve says it was set to 7.9" (and, of course, says any adjustment voids the warranty and could cause failure). With all the valves closed, the gauge that is 12 inches from the inlet at the pump reads right at 6". So I'm guessing I'm getting alot less at the machine bed, but it holds extremely well.

Also, I have to seal up around a couple of the drains on the bottom of the plenum as they didn't get sealed properly at the factory. But that shouldn't affect what's going on with the relief valve sucking all the time, just when I'm holding a part on the table.

There's a Youtube video put out by FPZ that shows how to adjust the valve. I may try to tweak it when I feel comfortable doing so.

WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 01-16-2019, 10:26 AM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

Wes...
When the table is fully covered AND there are no leaks, vacuum will be very close to the same as. When cutting thru the available vac will be proportional to the flow created by the toolpaths.

Look this over: https://www.camheads.org/showthread.php?t=8558
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 01-17-2019, 01:30 PM
CAMhead Legend

I'd double check what FPz claims the valve was set to. In my experience as an on the road tech, they lie...and adjusting them is VERY finicky. There's usually like a 6 or 8mm hex bolt you have to turn to tighten to increase the threshold point and every one I have adjusted was non-linear. In some cases a 1/4 turn was too much, where other times it took like 3 turns to get it right. There's nothing magical or mystical about the valve...it's a spring and butterfly...vacuum of xHg" will suck it open if it is greater than the pressure of the spring. So don't be skeered...Take valve completely off the manifold to adjust. It's too easy to drop a nut or washer into the intake. Yeah...it sucks pulling it off and on to sneak up on the right value. If you have a MityVac and make an adapter you can dial it right in and only pull it off once.

On the one hand if you set it too low, you're not getting full vacuum potential. On the other hand, if you set it too high, you'll overheat the pump due to air cavitation and cook the bearings on the impeller shaft or the impeller will touch down on the housing. The tolerances between the wheel and the housing are surprisingly tight...which leads to me to remind you to put a filter over the BOV so when it opens a stray chip doesn't get sucked in an jam the pump...It ain't pretty...or cheap to fix.

Not trying to tell horror stories, but I've seen my share of blown up stuff. A word to the wise should be sufficient...
Old 01-17-2019, 01:51 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks again Gary and Braddy. Attached is a pic of the setup. I do have nice big filters on the sucking side of everything. I'll do some adjusting this weekend. The specs on the vac says it should pull 8 or 10 inches (will double check this). K10-MS-MOR-15
The holding power on the table is really good, but every little inch helps and I want to maximize the potential.........while it's running, I'm already paying for the power anyways, might as well get what I'm paying for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vac setup2.jpg (84.0 KB, 31 views)
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 01-17-2019, 03:40 PM
CAMhead Legend

Wes,
According to Effepizeta(FPz):

K10-MS-MOR-15 Vacuum Applications:
Maximum Flow to 726 scfm Maximum pressure to 10.3 inHg

Pretty sweet on the airflow @ 726

If max is 10.3, I would set it to 9 to 9.5 Hg" and double check the gauge you have on there with another one - an automotive one is fine.