CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Elite Series

Old 03-20-2021, 10:29 AM
CAMhead Guest

Default ATC will not clamp tool

This issue started with a tool not releasing. This had happened in the past so I learned to push the green button and tug on the tool holder a bit to unstick it. This worked so I thought I would be back up and running. However, this time it now will not pick up a new tool. If my memory is correct I normally have to hold the green button so that the holder opens so that I can insert a tool. Release the button and it normally holds the tool. But this time the default state is for the holder to be open and the light is not green.

A few google searches taught me this might be a pressure issue so I tried cranking up the pressure to a little over 100 but still no go. The odd thing is that if I park the head and close the wincnc software I can hear the clamp closing like normal. When you get back into wincnc it opens again. However, it will not take a tool manually or through the warmup routine.

Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2021, 11:06 AM
CAMaster Owner

Is the spindle cone clean of debris? It sounds like it started with the clamp sticking. You shouldn't ever have to pull to remove the tool. The weight of the tool should be enough to drop thr tool out of thr spindle. Make sure all dust and debris is out of the spindle cone and your tool cones are clean as well. Also ensure the top bolt on the tool cone is tight. If that isn't seated all the way down thr clamp doesn't have anything to grab.
Hurricane Vac
Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast
Old 03-20-2021, 11:09 AM
CAMaster Owner

Is this a camaster? Some pictures of what you are dealing with may help. If you have a backup copy of wincnc, I would try using that first. I always keep a backup in case of a computer crash or strange issue creeping up like this.

It uses air pressure to relase the tool and without air it clamps, unless you have a different machine or spindle than normal.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:40 AM
CAMhead Guest

Logan: Yes, the tool cone is clean and clear of debris. I do keep the tops of the holders clean but of course there's always some dust that can settle during the course of a cut job. It did not take much force to release the tool, it was probably just a bit of compressed dust that was causing it to stick a bit.

Ken: Yes, this is a Cobra Elite with 12hp hsd spindle which I purchased new in the middle of 2020. I do not have a backup copy of wincnc. Thank you for confirming that the default state with no air applied is for the clamp to be closed. Perhaps a valve is stuck in the open position?
Old 03-20-2021, 12:45 PM
CAMaster Owner

If the machine is that new, they should have a backup wincnc on file to try. If starting wincnc and closing makes the valve change, the valve is probably good. If the valve was stuck either way, opening wincnc would not cause a change.

I have seen wincnc files get corrupt with power and or ground issues. It is strange, but often loading the backup fixes them.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:58 PM
CAMhead Guest

Ken: I agree with you on not being a stuck valve.

I had to run out of the shop for a bit but I'll check the computer when I get back. Should the backup be on the desktop or in some directory? Are there instructions somewhere on the computer or this forum listing the steps needed to restore a backup?
Old 03-20-2021, 01:02 PM
CAMaster Owner

The backup would probably be at Camaster. Basically it's just going into the C:/ drive and there is a wincnc folder there. That's the one you would want a copy of and preferably off of the machine in case of pc failure.

If the output from wincnc has an issue, it can be changed to an unused output.

Wincnc sends an output and that operates a relay. The relay basically closes a switch and sends power to the Air solenoid sending air pressure to the spindle, dropping the tool holder.

With the spindle operating backwards, at least it's operational, and that is probably ok.

You would have to look in the ini file and see what C# is used for the ouptut. Then if it's C4 for instance, you can type M11C4 in the MDI and hit enter. That should turn on the relay, and valve. M12C4 turns it off. Without looking into your files, I don't know what C# output they used on your machine.

It depends on how deep you want to dig on the weekend without tech support.

If you want to pm me your phone number, I will try to help narrow it down over the phone.

Last edited by Ken Rychlik; 03-20-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:00 AM
CAMaster Owner

With a phone call we got it running. I suspect a shorted green button switch on the spindle. He is going to get a ticket in to tech support to track it down all the way.
The relay on the wincnc board was fine, and the air solenoid for the tool release was fine. The manual release button and just the wires in between those two points are all that is left.

I just didn't want to leave an empty problem without an answer. After he gets the complete resolution, maybe he will post it.