CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

Old 06-04-2021, 01:02 PM
CAMaster Owner

4 year stint in USAF (Flight Simulators), 20 years as electronic tech with Goodyear Aerospace/Lockheed Martin government contracts. 10 years instructor - Assoc Industrial Electronics while building a house. now a Christmas Tree farmer and woodshop production manager, bought a CNC in 2018. 65 now, still working and learning every day!

you guys have some very impressive backgrounds!

Last edited by TimPa; 06-04-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:56 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default My Life Timeline

I was born and lived in Montreal, Quebec, Canada until I was seventeen and I wanted to be in the military since every male member of my family both sides had served. I tried to join the British Royal Marines but in 1967 they had a ten-year minimum enlistment with three years of basic and skills training. That was a little more than I wanted to try. I drove down to Plattsburg, NY about forty miles from Montreal and joined the USMC because they promised I could be infantry and go to Vietnam guaranteed. Dumb kid who had watched too many John Wayne movies and they were more than happy to send me to Vietnam.

After the Marines I worked as an apprentice auto mechanic and I worked my way up to a master mechanic primarily for diesel engines, drive trains etc. in trucks and heavy equipment which paid better than auto. I joined the Navy Seabee Reserves as a mechanic to help pay for me to go back to school. I retired as a MCPO in 2001. When engines began to employ more electronics, I went to college to earn a degree in electrical/electronic engineering. Along the way I continued to study Isshinryu Karate which I began on Okinawa. I taught for many years and studied with other disciplines and Sensei's.

I was recruited out of college by the Central Intelligence Agency as an electronics engineer. All of my work was overseas and I lived in England for a year supporting bases in Europe and Asia. I worked many different types of technical jobs in operations in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan. I retired in 2008 and worked as a senior system engineer for SAIC and retired 2015. I worked as a consultant mostly from home until the pandemic hit in January 2000.

When I retired in 2015 and moved out of Northern Virginia to Winchester I bought a new house with a full walkout basement with nothing but four lights and a supporting 2x6 wall down the center. I wanted to build my dream workshop and make furniture primarily. My shop is ~30x40 ft. with planer, jointer, drum sander, bandsaw, edge sander, drill press, table saw, miter saw, scroll saw and wood lathe. I have a 3hp DC with auto blast gates and overhead dust collection ducts. My Wife and I did it all by ourselves with the help of overhead hoists and come along. I build and she helps and finishes. We both love it especially working together.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 06-05-2021, 12:42 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

That's quite a diverse life experience! Professor Dr. SWMBO's parents both worked for the agency, Keith. Her dad was actually in SE Asia prior to the war and had some significant involvement in the same. (There's even a personally signed photo from Kennedy made out to "Larry") Because of his intelligence/military missions, the family lived for a time in Thailand as well as Seoul Korea. Two of her siblings were actually born in the latter. They lived just inside the beltway in Falls Church otherwise. Her mom was some kind of analyst, but I don't really know much more than that. They are both gone...I never met him and her mom passed at age 65 not long after I met her. I had some interaction with SAIC a few times in my last position prior to retirement since I was selling into the federal space. (Telecom)

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 06-07-2021, 07:08 AM
CAMaster Owner

Keith, when were you in Okinawa? i was there from '79-'82... F-15's
Old 06-07-2021, 10:34 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
I think my uncle and aunt were in Okinawa sometime in that time period, but he was Army special forces. (Green Beret)

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 06-07-2021, 11:51 AM
CAMaster Owner

I started working in restaurants & hotels with a degree in Culinary Arts. Got tired of working when everyone else was off (nights, weekends & holidays) as well as the stress.

Quick story - I was working at the Biltmore Plaza Hotel in Providence R.I. (I went to Johnson & Wales College there) and the Executive Chef was retiring. He was in charge of 3 or 4 kitchens in the hotel as well as a couple of bake shops and always seemed cool as a cucumber from his lifetime of experience. The person hired to replace him was about 30 years old and this was his 1st exec position. He was overwhelmed. He lived in Boston about an hour away but because his days were so long he'd sleep at the Biltmore 3 or 4 nights a week. I worked in the banquet kitchen on the 17th floor where we cooked for events of 200 - 2000 people. We were prepping for a large event cooking top round for the main course. They had a large rotating bakers oven which worked like a Ferris wheel inside an oven with 6 shelves. On each shelf was 3 sheet pans, each with 2 top rounds, so a lot of beef being cooked. Close to service time, after one of the cooks checked the meat, he didn't align one of the sheet pans properly and when the oven started to rotate, the pan flipped sending 2 top rounds to the bottom of the oven. The First Cook who had been working in that kitchen for a number of years told the new Executive Chef what had happened and asked what he'd like to do (chain of command). The chef was already frazzled from a number of other issues he had to deal with thought for a minute and then told him to shut off the oven. When the temp dropped to under 200 degrees, pad one of the shelves with linen tablecloths and he'd climb on so they could rotate him to the bottom to retrieve the meat. The First Cook knew the chef was in over his head and said not to worry he'd take care of it. He ordered 2 new top rounds from the store room, sliced them raw and cooked them to order in au jus. I still think about that chef today, lol.

Once I was finished with the restaurant business I started to work installing car stereos, alarms, remote starters and eventually designing high-end audio systems and speaker enclosures (I don't remember how I even got into that field although it was something I used to do on the side for myself and friends). My last job doing that was for Nobody Beats The Wiz (local metro NY electronics chain now out of business) as a installation shop manager for several of their stores.

When I lost my job there, I was collecting unemployment and found a state program that offered to train people who were in a profession with low employment growth rate for a higher growth career path. This was in 1998. My brother-in-law had given me his old computer a few months before and I was hooked. So I applied to the state program hoping to get into the computer field and after passing their test, I was enrolled in a 4 month course that led to my first job on a helpdesk. I eventually got into the telecom field as a business analyst and just recently retired.

I've been woodworking as a hobby for the last 12 years and have wanted a CNC for the last 3. I had to build an extension on my shop to have the space for it which took about 3 months to complete. I'm so glad the hard work is done and now I can focus on learning this thing :)
VCarve Pro 10.5 & WinCNC
Old 06-07-2021, 01:14 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
69 -70 I was one of the last 30 Marines, 3rd Marine Division to leave Vietnam, I Corps when the 101st Airborne Division relieved us and we returned to Camp Courtney and Butler, Okinawa. I got there just before the 68 Tet Offensive, lucky me.

Last edited by keithrhyde; 06-07-2021 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 06-07-2021, 01:36 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thank you for being there Keith!
Old 06-09-2021, 01:38 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

We are privileged live in the greatest country in the world and IMHO we should all give back in some way. It does not have to be military service which is not always good for the person or the military.

I do however believe that you can serve in other ways such as community service, volunteer fireman or rescue squad for just two examples but there are many opportunities to give back. I do not understand how someone who has a great life here can just take and take without any thought of paying it forward. It doesn't have to be a lifetime commitment just a few years.

I think it is a very selfish attitude to enjoy the fruits of our bountiful land and not do something to give back in some manner. My way was thirty years of military service which I am honored and proud to have served.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:12 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Thanks for your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithrhyde View Post
We are privileged live in the greatest country in the world and IMHO we should all give back in some way. It does not have to be military service which is not always good for the person or the military.

I do however believe that you can serve in other ways such as community service, volunteer fireman or rescue squad for just two examples but there are many opportunities to give back. I do not understand how someone who has a great life here can just take and take without any thought of paying it forward. It doesn't have to be a lifetime commitment just a few years.

I think it is a very selfish attitude to enjoy the fruits of our bountiful land and not do something to give back in some manner. My way was thirty years of military service which I am honored and proud to have served.
I served in the USAF (85 - 90) during peace time so it was a much different time, so thanks for your service.
Easley SC

Hobbyist until I retire from the B2B Software market