CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > Work we Produce !!!!

Old 09-02-2019, 10:53 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default A new way of thinking

I've had my Stinger III for a couple weeks now. I'm a hobbiest and I purchased the machine for odds and ends rather than production work. It's been fun to learn how to rethink methods with a new tool.

I am teaching myself antique clock repair. I picked up a new clock this weekend and spent the day degunking and fixing up the case and overhauling the movement. The mounting board for the movement was a replacement, and a poor quality one. I briefly thought about firing up the table saw, but instead fired up VCarve. I think I could have done a slightly faster job using other tools, but the result with the router was better.

This is a pretty trivial project, but is a good example of the little bits I often need to make.

Also, the back half of the router makes a pretty nice workbench, as long as I remember to not park the router. :)

I'll post a picture of the clock reassembled in all it's glory when it's finished. Right now I'm working on the calendar mechanism and waiting on a replacement moulding being fabricated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8779.jpg (94.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8781.jpg (97.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8782.jpg (92.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8789.jpg (93.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8783.jpg (33.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 09-03-2019, 07:14 AM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Nothing Trivial about that ~ Good work !

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 09-03-2019, 08:49 AM
CAMaster Owner

You have very quickly learned that the CNC is kinda like the old "to a hammer, everything is a nail" thing. :) It quickly became my first choice for many things, even when it might take a little more time. Why? The learning and the precise results. Enjoy!

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 09-03-2019, 11:56 AM
CAMaster Owner

great work! i have been repairing clocks for about 20 years now, have never seen a weight driven clock like that model, with the calendar!

if you are just getting into it, you may consider building yourself a clock "test stand". something you can attach the movement to, and connect the weights, pendulum, etc. to run, and allows 360 degrees access to the movement for monitor/adjust/repair. eventually you will want several to accommodate the needs of different movement styles (like that one). it is pretty tuff to view whats going on inside the case...

pm me if interested in more info... good luck!
Old 09-03-2019, 12:03 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCornish View Post
Also, the back half of the router makes a pretty nice workbench, as long as I remember to not park the router. :)
I
There are no trivial cnc projects...very nice solution, TJ

Your comment about the workbench cracked me up! If you put 9 more clocks up there it would be like cnc bowling!
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 09-03-2019, 02:28 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjg View Post
There are no trivial cnc projects...very nice solution, TJ

Your comment about the workbench cracked me up! If you put 9 more clocks up there it would be like cnc bowling!
That’s because you KNOW that’s happened (thankfully not to me yet). :)

I have the 4x8 stinger so I can occasionally cut full sheets of plywood, but I also have a small shop, which means the temptation to “alternatively purpose” the router for working space is hard to resist.

On mine, the spindle warmup routine sends the router back to the midpoint on the Y access and in 12 inches or so in X. I don’t know why - that seems dangerous to me. When I get around to it, I’m going to edit the warmup macro to get rid of the XY moves so it just starts up wherever it is without fast transiting 4’ into who knows what’s on my table.

Last edited by TJCornish; 09-03-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:37 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
great work! i have been repairing clocks for about 20 years now, have never seen a weight driven clock like that model, with the calendar!

if you are just getting into it, you may consider building yourself a clock "test stand". something you can attach the movement to, and connect the weights, pendulum, etc. to run, and allows 360 degrees access to the movement for monitor/adjust/repair. eventually you will want several to accommodate the needs of different movement styles (like that one). it is pretty tuff to view whats going on inside the case...

pm me if interested in more info... good luck!
Glad to meet another clock head. I suspect this will turn into a retirement career for me, though Iíve got some time before that will likely happen.

The clock is an Ithaca No 2 Bank Regulator, a perpetual calendar (the clock knows the difference between January with 31 days and February with 28 days) measuring 61Ē tall when complete with itís bottom drop moulding, which I am in the process of acquiring. This particular clock does not lend itself to an external movement stand as the pendulum is hung on the case, not the movement, and the time movement needs to be in correct position relative to the calendar movement. As the time-only movement is about as simple as they come, itís just easier for this kind of clock to be reassembled and tested in the case.

Right now Iíve got the time movement disassembled, pivots polished, reassembled, and oiled and running well. The calendar is mostly firing correctly (should be simple tweaking required to finish that up), but I suspect I need to look into the perpetual part.

This is my first Ithaca. They are fairly desirable clocks and about 40 years ago some guys started up a business and reverse engineered the calendar movement and have created exact reproductions. Since then the company has split into two with one guy supplying replacement case parts and another guy handling the mechanicals.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:10 PM
CAMaster Owner

looks like you are well on your way for that one (date?). i have never had an Ithaca cross my bench, looks interesting for sure. will have to look them up...

good luck, let us know how it works out!
Old 09-06-2019, 05:53 PM
CAMhead Friend

By the way, Iím in Columbia PA this weekend attending the NAWCC introduction to pocket watch repair class. I drove down to Merrittís in Pottstown and saw the NAWCC museum today before class starts tomorrow. What a treat for a clock head! Not sure the CNC router will have much application in watch repair, but you never know. :)