CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Shop Talk

Old 05-30-2020, 12:52 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Default When I'm bored

Don't have loads of free time these days but when I do, I like to be making stuff ,, And when I have no CNC projects in mind I get on a roll with other things. Lately it has been making glue-ups mostly from scrap wood I have laying around.
I like to slice them in thin cuts then make various items out of them, occasionally do them larger and thicker and carve something out of them as well ,,, But I can consistently slice them near veneer thin when I want to. I average 5 sheets out of .7 stock, pretty thin as it is, takes a nicely tuned bandsaw to do that.

Here is a sample of 1 pile I made the last few days, the one in the clamps is slightly more intricate, will look seamless when its done.
Trying to spin some more ideas for something different, hopefully will come up with something.
Most essential items for glue-ups for me, besides clamps and glue, are the bandsaw and drum sander. I have revised my technique where I hardly get any squeezeout glue on the wood, which ruins expensive drum sander belts if you [stupidly] try to sand off the glue.

Nice to start getting a system down, pipe clamps were definitely a wise investment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5280.jpg (94.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5281.jpg (98.3 KB, 129 views)

Stinger 1
Old 05-30-2020, 09:33 AM
CAMaster Owner

Dang...you should get "bored" more often. Those look great, Doug!
You have me thinking of reorganizing my "scrap pile" now.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 05-30-2020, 09:50 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Never underestimate the value of what lurks in the scrap/cut-off pile! There's so much "in there" it's scary sometimes!

Bravo on those constructions. Very nicely done!

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 05-30-2020, 10:03 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

These things are pretty rewarding to do, simple, useful and they look nice. Most people that see them or what I make from them are shocked they are glued, tough to imagine the holding power of good glue until you see it.
Kinda locked into basics though, strips, rectangles or squares. I'd love to do some triangles for instance, seems to me that would be a rather complex operation. Also thinking of profiling something, a star for example, into a glueup block. Then insert some contrasting wood, so it would be an inlay of sorts, and when you slice it, the inlay would be on every one of them. That would be doable, I think the insert would have to be fairly simple though, and very precise.

Stinger 1
Old 05-30-2020, 01:42 PM
CAMaster Owner

I was at the international wood convention in Las Vegas about 7 or 8 years ago and saw a device called "Larry's Clamp" for gluing up panels. I was very impressed and bought the 22" model. It's a little pricey but it sure works good.

https://cggschmidt.net/cggwp/2019/02...-larrys-clamp/

22" model
https://cggschmidt.net/cggwp/proddetail.php?prod=AC842
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser crosshair
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 10.5

Last edited by SteveNelson46; 05-30-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:52 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

I can see the beauty of adding some downwards pressure, am in the process of rigging something up though so far mine have been flat as can be ,,, Then again, my panels tend to be pretty small, and my drum sander makes quick work out of any deviations.
If you are dealing with flat stock and placing them on a flat surface, then they should be flat, I think the main cause of panels bucking is guys thinking they have to squeeze the daylight out of the clamps to get a good bond. Not true, I tighten mine just until the glue starts squishing up and call that good, very easy to over tighten if you are not thinking about it.

Stinger 1
Old 05-30-2020, 02:06 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
I can see the beauty of adding some downwards pressure, am in the process of rigging something up though so far mine have been flat as can be ,,, Then again, my panels tend to be pretty small, and my drum sander makes quick work out of any deviations.
If you are dealing with flat stock and placing them on a flat surface, then they should be flat, I think the main cause of panels bucking is guys thinking they have to squeeze the daylight out of the clamps to get a good bond. Not true, I tighten mine just until the glue starts squishing up and call that good, very easy to over tighten if you are not thinking about it.
Doug,

They turned out great no matter what process you used.
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser crosshair
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 10.5
Old 05-30-2020, 03:03 PM
CAMaster Owner

Nice scrap...

On the sanding glue ups. I always try to get the squeeze out off of course. But when you can't, a decent paint scraper can handle the dry stuff fairly well.

I loaded a few belts full of glue and found the scraper to be the quickest thing that makes sense.

For cauls I use 2x4 pieces. I make them pretty much like this, I do the joiner bit differently but whatever.
https://youtu.be/8hKxKagdjpo

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 05-30-2020, 03:16 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

All due respect Steve, over tightening is never a good thing, wood or metal.

JP, my method to minimize glue cleanup is first I scrape off the majority with a credit card type card, then mist the board with water and wipe off the rest. Next day I give it a good once over with an orbital sander for any residue remaining, then the drum sander. I started using the left half of my drum sander for first couple passes then the right for the last, so at least I have 1 clear side to sand with.

You could cut right through the chase with a planer, I sold mine years back after I got my bandsaw and drum sander as I hated the waste associated with them, but this would actually be a good use for them.

Stinger 1
Old 05-30-2020, 08:46 PM
CAMaster Owner

Doug,

Larry's clamp does not squeeze the boards together. It presses them flat and your clamps squeeze the glue joints together.
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser crosshair
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 10.5