CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2019, 11:07 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default onion skin

seems like I am dominating the newb questions forum, sorry. I have been trying to learn the onion skin process/concept by the context from your posts, but I don't quite get it.

can someone please explain the process and intended uses for this, other than on a burger? now I'm hungry...

thanks in advance!!
Old 01-04-2019, 12:06 PM
CAMaster Owner

Instead of cutting parts out by using material height + .003 or something like that, you use material height - .02. That means the part isn't totally cut free of the material, but the spoil board is undamaged, and if you have a vacuum holding down the material, the newly cut part shouldn't break free. It's easy enough to physically break the "onion skin" and sand down once the machine has finished cutting.
Aspire
Old 01-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Ask Away, You will not learn if you do not ask, do not cut yourself short, We all can master this thing.

I was staring at some complex work many years ago, some old Geezer walks by and says to me "Son it Ain't Smarter than you are"

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 01-04-2019, 01:10 PM
CAMhead Legend

There are lots of different ways that people "Onion Skin".

One thing people with less rigid machines do, is make the first cut a climb cut, about .01-.03 from going through, then follow with a full depth conventional cut.

On our Morbidelli, we onion skin small parts that are 350sq in or smaller to keep them from moving. We make the first pass .01 from going through, then follow with a full depth cut. These parts are cut first, then larger parts are cut in one pass.
With plywood, I usually leave a 1/8" skin, as the face veneer itself is not usually stong enough to hold the parts in place.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints

Old 01-04-2019, 02:08 PM
CAMaster Owner

it seems that responses so far refer to the pass that cuts the part out (separation cut), or removes the cut part from the remainder of the sheet/board. as in maybe cabinet parts.

if carving out a sign, would the onion skin apply to the carving of the features as well, or just the bottom-most (separation) cut above the spoil board?

and my next question is when would onion skin (as in a separation cut) be beneficial over using tabs? thanks again....
Old 01-04-2019, 02:28 PM
CAMaster Owner

Say you have a piece of 3/4" plywood (that measures exactly .75") on the table and you want to cut out 10 parts. You would program the first pass to cut all the parts to a depth of .72 or .73. What is left is the "onion skin". Then you would program your next pass to .755 or whatever your preference to fully cutout the parts all the way thru the material.

Tabs are a pain to cut free and sand off, especially if you have alot of parts to do. If you're just cutting a few parts, then sure, use tabs.

"if carving out a sign, would the onion skin apply to the carving of the features as well, or just the bottom-most (separation) cut above the spoil board."

Just the cuts you make to cut thru the material to break it free.
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 01-04-2019, 03:38 PM
CAMaster Owner

The climb/conventional cut strategy that Ger21 alluded to is doing the first pass with a climb cut offset .02-.03 off the line then come back with the final cut-thru pass in a conventional direction right on the line. The conventional cut will pull the bit towards the line and make it dead on (depending on machine slop and such).
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 01-04-2019, 03:49 PM
CAMaster Owner

Here is a screenshot of how I have my software set up for profile cuts.

This is a full sheet onion skin. It leaves 50 thousandths of material on the first cut and offsets the parts bigger by .015.

On the final cut it cuts full depth and trims that .015 off. Leaves a really clean edge. I use this a lot for melamine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg profile cut.jpg (10.7 KB, 44 views)

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 01-04-2019, 07:17 PM
CAMaster Owner

Tim,
Thanks for filling in for me in the newbie category. I felt like I was bugging everyone for the first few months. I act like I have it figured out now but you never do.
You have some great advise already here so I will refrain from commenting further, except I use onion skins an all small parts to keep the parts from coming loose. You vacuum setup affects your choice of part size to start onion skinning.
I don't do anything fancy with my skins, just leave .030 for the final pass to release the part. Pay attention to cutout options in the optimizer as that is where all the onion skin settings are store and managed.