CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

Old 01-17-2016, 07:03 PM
CAMaster owner

Default Dust Collection Question

We currently own a Stinger 1 and we just received our brand new Cobra CR-510. We are in the process of buying a dust collector and would like to get some sugestions:

1. What HP 3 or 5 that will run both machines? We are looking more towards the 5 HP.

2. Who makes the best systems for our needs? We are mostly cutting plastics.

3. We would like to have G Code turn on the dust collection but not sure if that is advisable or possible on a system that is 220 volts.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Mike
Old 01-17-2016, 07:15 PM
Stinger II Owner

My requirements are different but have several machines collecting dust in the shop at the same time using a 3 HP Oneida. I have been very impressed at the airflow and dust collection this unit provides. I might suggest laying out your shop, tool location including distances and CFM required, and then contact the couple major US providers to see what they recommend too for your specific needs.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:38 PM
Camaster Owner

I have the 5hp Oneida Super Dust Gorrilla. If memory serves me you are looking for 1200 cfm at the machine. The 3 hp did not have enough power to provide 1200cfm at the machine with a second blast gate open for another machine which is why I went with the 5hp system. I wanted to use my table saw and surfacer while the cnc was running. Charlie is correct if you call Onieda they will help you design a system that will meet your needs. I have a 4" pipe running to a Kent CNC dust shoe. I also went with the spiral metal pipe to eliminate issues with static electricity. (make sure you read Gary Cambell's post about proper dust collection grounding).

Their are lots of posts on the site regarding dust collection. My best advice for you is that this is not something that you want to cut corners on. Do it right so that you are collecting the dust rather than moving it around your shop to breath in. I also looked at the Clear Vue Cyclone. Lots of good info in Bill Penz articles on their website. In the end the Clear Vue is a kit that must be assembled and I was looking for a more turn key solution.

Good Luck!

Stinger II 48" x 48"
V Carve Pro, Corel Draw X8
1.7 kwh spindle
Performance Package
Hurricane Black Box Vac
Oneida 5hp Super Dust Gorrilla
Old 01-17-2016, 08:05 PM
CAMaster owner

Thank you both for your responses. I have been reading a lot as a result of the search function and just read the article on static. I will call Oneida tomorrow and get this going.

Did you both just use dict from lower or did you order it from the dust collection company? I was looking at their super duct with eh elbow that swivels, etc.

Mike
Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by internationalmarinemike View Post
1. What HP 3 or 5 that will run both machines? We are looking more towards the 5 HP.

2. Who makes the best systems for our needs? We are mostly cutting plastics.

3. We would like to have G Code turn on the dust collection but not sure if that is advisable or possible on a system that is 220 volts.
Hey Mike,

I already head a nice 2-stage, cyclone dust collector in my shop and it's worked great on my Stinger II. It's a 2HP 1350CFM unit from Grizzly. There are likely many good solutions as the amount of chips produced from a CNC machine is light compared to some other shop machines. Any machine that can maintain more than 800 CFM is more than capable for any machine connected via 4" hose. So... you might want to look at CFM rating more than HP ratings. Also, 2-stage cyclone collectors are much better than single state collectors.

Most of the machines in my shop are connected to dust collection via automatic blast gates, but the CNC machine is connected via a manual switch because there are many times when dust collection is not needed and avoiding the extra noise is nice. So, I'm not sure enabled DC via G code would be desirable. Your mileage may vary.

cheers, Mike
Old 01-17-2016, 08:20 PM
CAMaster owner

Thank you very much Mike. Quick question. Who makes the automatic blast gates? I never thought about them being automatic. What powers them?

Mike
Old 01-17-2016, 08:27 PM
CAMaster Owner

Happy to help Mike. I use gates from GrnGate, which are powered from a central point via standard network cables. The other system out there from ivac looks good too, but I've been pleased with GrnGate. never having to open/close blast gates is pretty nice.

Mike
Old 01-17-2016, 09:07 PM
Stinger II Owner

I used straight sections and reducers from big box stores and Y fittings, etc specialty store. Helped control costs.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:41 PM
Camaster Owner

I bought the spiral ducting in 10' lengths along with the elbows from a local HVAC contractor. I found It to be very reasonably priced and fairly easy to work with. The stuff Oneida sells with the locking rings is super expensive. I was afraid that normal HVAC ducting would collapse under the vacuum pressure so I opted for the spiral. I have 8" coming out of the collector and it reduces down to 6" and finally 4" going to the machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.2 KB, 172 views)

Stinger II 48" x 48"
V Carve Pro, Corel Draw X8
1.7 kwh spindle
Performance Package
Hurricane Black Box Vac
Oneida 5hp Super Dust Gorrilla
Old 01-18-2016, 02:35 AM
CAMaster Owner

I too used the inexpensive duct from Home Depot. The only major drawback I can see is that the duct work is designed for the opposite airflow so debris gets caught on the rough edges pointing into, rather than with, the airflow. Someday, I plan to replace all this inexpensive duct work with the real (unbelievably expensive) duct work designed for dust collection. Someday.

Tags
dust