CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > New Forum Members

Old 06-22-2019, 10:56 PM
CAMhead Friend

They actually mill the horizontal plane? wondered about that, I know that the welding can move and twist the tubing to some degree, thought the spoil board may have been milled flat once mounted. I considered that the Blue machine being bolted would have some inherent play and the spoil board would have to take up any slack when milled.

Last edited by james mcgrew; 06-22-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:16 PM
CAMhead Friend

In Canada you don't have to be Red Seal to build, yet, probably never happen, be too many out of a job. There are a few instances where they like to have one qualified on site. I actually went on a local 12 week, 3night a week course about 10 yrs ago. It was designed to refresh carpenters with at least 3000 proven hrs in the trade and then take the exam which you had to score at least 70% to get the seal. This was all in an effort to get more apprentices registered, in Canada apprentices can only get qualified hrs with red seal qualified journeymen once they have enough hrs in certain modules they can write the exam for said module. The toughest part is that there can only be one apprentice per journeyman. If you stacked the modules on the floor, it would stand about 30 inches tall. It was a little intimidating when I first started the course... paid off though, I scored the highest mark in the class of 14 with an 88%.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:59 AM
Banned

Another consideration to buying (as opposed to modifying) an existing machine...

If/When you ever do decide to sell it (whether to bail out or move up to an even bigger/better/faster machine... as many here have done), any potential buyer is going to be VERY leery of your modified machine, and that will be reflected in the price that someone is willing to pay for it.

How many times have you seen "hot rods", motorcycles, or other stuff advertised saying "over $36k invested...priced at $20k" or things to that effect?

On the "grim" side of things...if you become disabled or dead, your heirs/spouse/whatever is likely going to end up with a fire-sale price on your modified machine whereas the "stock" machine is going to have a much more readily determinable value. You don't have to actually BE the guy who bought it/ran it/maintained (you) it in order to be able to sell it for a fair price, but that fair price is going to be much easier to get to for anyone else faced with doing so.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:57 PM
CAMhead Friend

Cant argue with that John, seems Camaster does hold its value. Thanks for your input!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:21 AM
CAMaster Owner

You're not going to believe this, but my brother-in-law is named Rob and operates a small side-business named Wooden Mind Woodworking.

My suggestion, as others have said, is to bite the bullet and buy the bigger machine first. I've never heard anyone say "Darn, I should've bought a smaller machine." Especially for cabinet making. 4X8 is MINIMUM. A 5X10 would be better but I understand there are limits.
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 06-25-2019, 10:14 PM
CAMhead Friend

Wow what are the odds of that, my wife thought of the name an I ran with it... I kind of feel the same I regards to 4x8 and I don't have enough space for larger.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:37 AM
Camaster Owner

FYI. Yes you will have to pay the HST but there is no duty, as Camaster CNC's come within the 'Free Trade Agreement'. I had my machine shipped to the Ace Hardware in Calais, Maine where I picked it up and drove back through Canada Customs where I paid the HST. As well, shipping costs were considerably lower and I didn't have to pay for a customs broker. Saved major $$$'s. Happy to provide more info if you'd like. Calais is about 3 1/2 hrs from Springhill. The Ace Hardware people are the best. Just remembered that Ace has a forklift. Good luck!
P.S. By the way, I'm located on White Head Island in the Bay of Fundy
WIN-CNC
V-Carve Pro
Home made vacuum