CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Shop Talk

Old 08-24-2019, 03:36 PM
Cobra Owner

Well, it works!

How to spend $100 in 5 milliseconds?

Cut a piece of wood with some aluminum tape on it.

I was testing a dado cut on a piece of scrap with my sawstop jobsite saw this morning and unhappily encountered a piece of aluminum duct tape.

There doesn't appear to be any damage to the blade at all - it's out about .005 out but I'm not sure if it was better than that before the event. The teeth are unscathed - I think the shear amount of steel and surface area in the dado stack minimized the damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SawstopIMG_2838.JPG (96.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg SawstopIMG_2839.jpg (35.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg SawstopIMG_2840.JPG (94.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg SawstopIMG_2841.JPG (92.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 08-24-2019, 10:03 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
" I can't imagine that 3-4000 people manage to cut fingers off each year. "

I cut mine twice in one year, same saw 364 days apart and had the same guy standing within 10 feet of me both times, Good friend but i fired him soon after and then

Bought my first CAMaster 2007

Nice. The gorilla costume was a bit distracting huh? :)

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 08-25-2019, 05:27 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Williams View Post
Well, it works!

How to spend $100 in 5 milliseconds?

Cut a piece of wood with some aluminum tape on it.

I was testing a dado cut on a piece of scrap with my sawstop jobsite saw this morning and unhappily encountered a piece of aluminum duct tape.

There doesn't appear to be any damage to the blade at all - it's out about .005 out but I'm not sure if it was better than that before the event. The teeth are unscathed - I think the shear amount of steel and surface area in the dado stack minimized the damage.
Welcome to the club, brother Terry. I have definitely felt that feeling of $100 disappearing rapidly. Iím sure you took great consolation in how well the brake protected the aluminum tape. :)
Old 08-25-2019, 05:30 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The real JP View Post
Nice. The gorilla costume was a bit distracting huh? :)
Was it this guy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03DCC1AD-D9BC-401A-86CF-BEDB1DC20291.jpg (18.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 08-25-2019, 07:34 PM
Cobra Owner

I haven't read all the thread. And these are just my thoughts, from someone who has used a 5hp Unisaw and a 5hp Panelsaw my whole life (my father had a large shop before I had one). . .

I wouldn't spend any amount of money on a portable tablesaw even if it had the sawstop technology. Portable table saws are the most dangerous saws there are. Get the heaviest saw you can afford. If its a sawstop, all the better.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 08-25-2019, 10:26 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford View Post
I haven't read all the thread. And these are just my thoughts, from someone who has used a 5hp Unisaw and a 5hp Panelsaw my whole life (my father had a large shop before I had one). . .

I wouldn't spend any amount of money on a portable tablesaw even if it had the sawstop technology. Portable table saws are the most dangerous saws there are. Get the heaviest saw you can afford. If its a sawstop, all the better.
I agree in principle, but for some guys [like me] limited on shop space, its either a table saw or no saw, and I'll take the table saw. They are not inherently dangerous if you are well versed operating power tools, there are alot of gory mishaps with them mostly because they are sold by the truckload and most end up in the hands of unskilled amateurs.
[Riding mowers, chainsaws and nail guns each are responsible for more ER visits than table saws], and likely for the very same reason as table saws - Alot of them sold to people who are unqualified to operate them.

None of this is to imply accidents cannot happen to qualified operators, of course they can - But the odds of imjury are greatly, greatly reduced and I would wager 3/4 of accidents would not happen if they were only sold to pros/semi pros.

Stinger 1

Last edited by Xray; 08-25-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:23 AM
CAMaster Owner

I bought one of those dewalt jobsite table saws for my first table saw.
Took less than 30 min to realize it wasn't going to work for what I was wanting.
Returned it and bought an actual cabinet saw.

Now with the cnc in the shop, I don't use the table saw for very much. Cross cutting with a sled, but I use my miter saw for that usually.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 08-26-2019, 08:41 AM
Cobra Owner

I would love to have a full sized Sawstop!

When I moved to Naples FL from Missouri, I had to downsize from a 42x60 shop to 32x32.

When you cram a 5x10 CNC Router, 2 hp Dust collector, Jointer, Planer, Bandsaw, Drillpress, Miter saws, Drum sander and various other implements of destruction into such a small space, you end up with barely enough room to squeeze a Jobsite saw in.

I am scheduled to win Power Ball sometime in the near future and fully intend to build a detached shop bigger and better than what I had in Missouri - until then, I will have to make due with what I have.

I'm not complaining - I'm able to do what I love doing and that's worth putting up with the inconvenience.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:12 PM
CAMaster Owner

Smile

Dang it....I never knew there was a schedule you could get on to win
Power Ball!! If you share the details I will split my future winnings with you, Terry!
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10