CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2020, 05:39 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

JK, Mr. McGrew cut those lifesize chess pieces by slicing the models into thicknesses that his machine could accommodate and then assembled them into what you see. I have stood next to a few and they are amazing and impressive!

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 07-05-2020, 06:44 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

since the 2008 release of Aspire to today.

I did cut some players in smaller scale with the rotary I have some pics somewhere

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020
Old 07-05-2020, 08:42 PM
CAMaster Owner

Jim,

I have not actually seen the statues but judging from the pics they are awesome. Especially since they were cut by slices on a flat table and assembled.
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser crosshair
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 10.5
Old 07-06-2020, 06:46 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
I have Fusion360 and Rhino 6. They are good programs but, IMHO, they are best suited for 3D printing. Most woodworkers choose Aspire or V-Carve because it is better for carving and cutting parts.
Hmm.. I hope me spending the time to learn Fusion in preparation of getting a CNC was not in vain. Im guessing there is not issue importing the stl files from one to another, I'm to the point where semi-basic items I can design fairly quickly in Fusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
JK, Mr. McGrew cut those lifesize chess pieces by slicing the models into thicknesses that his machine could accommodate and then assembled them into what you see. I have stood next to a few and they are amazing and impressive!
They are very neat. It would be a cool project to do for advertising

How long did it take per piece?
Old 07-06-2020, 09:36 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Make sure you sign up for Aspire Campe when Mr. McGrew is able to reschedule it. Totally worthy of your time to attend and you can fondle those giant chess pieces while you're there. :)

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
bvww.etsy.com
Old 07-06-2020, 08:16 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKelley9 View Post
Hmm.. I hope me spending the time to learn Fusion in preparation of getting a CNC was not in vain. Im guessing there is not issue importing the stl files from one to another, I'm to the point where semi-basic items I can design fairly quickly in Fusion.
Don't take me wrong here. Fusion360 is a very good program. But, like Rhino 6, it has a very steep learning curve and has a lot of functions that the average woodworker will probably never use unless he has a 3D printer. The only reason I have it is because it was free. I haven't put enough time into learning it to see its real proficiency.
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser crosshair
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 10.5

Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-06-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:06 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
Don't take me wrong here. Fusion360 is a very good program. But, like Rhino 6, it has a very steep learning curve and has a lot of functions that the average woodworker will probably never use unless he has a 3D printer. The only reason I have it is because it was free. I haven't put enough time into learning it to see its real proficiency.
Well, that makes me feel a little better. There's a bunch I still don't know how to do, but I have a decent understanding about what to use and when to use it. If Aspire is far simpler, it would be easy to do in the future.

I have never used Rhino6, so i would be lost there.

In other news, i get to see the demo of a machine today at CAMaster.

My table specs pre-order is:
- Stinger 3 4x8
- 1.7kW Spindle
- X3 Package
- Laser Pointer
- Phenolic Table
- Hurricane Vac
- 4th Axis

Subject to change, still waiting on a couple minor things to happen before ordering.

Now i need to focus on setting up toolpaths. I've tinkered with so much CAD, i ended up ignoring the other aspects.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:14 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

That's going to be a very nice machine. You may want to consider going up one step on the spindle since you have the big table. It will let you push things a little more when you're cutting larger things. That said, I'm happy with the 1.7kw spindle on my SR-44. Oh...and make sure you get the extra 2" of gantry height if it's not already specified. That was the one thing I truly regret not ordering and it's not something that can be "upgraded" to later. That extra room would have been handy on some furniture parts, etc., that I've worked on.

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA
bvww.etsy.com
Old 07-07-2020, 10:55 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
That's going to be a very nice machine. You may want to consider going up one step on the spindle since you have the big table. It will let you push things a little more when you're cutting larger things. That said, I'm happy with the 1.7kw spindle on my SR-44. Oh...and make sure you get the extra 2" of gantry height if it's not already specified. That was the one thing I truly regret not ordering and it's not something that can be "upgraded" to later. That extra room would have been handy on some furniture parts, etc., that I've worked on.

Grant has been assisting me in setting up the machine. They currently offer the X3 package for a nice discount. I originally had the 1kW and he suggested the 1.7. This is slightly beyond my "budget", and have made small sacrifices to get the machine I would like.

The X3 package comes with the gantry lift

Upgrade to the X3 Package. Includes:
- 2 Milwaukee 2.25 HP Side Mounted Router Heads
- Wider Gantry for Head Offset
- All Pneumatics
- Each side router is pneumatically raised/lowered and turned on/off via G Code
** The Fast Tool Change (FTC) , Counter Balance and the 2" Gantry Lift come standard with the X3

If the problem we all hope to have comes to pass (way too many jobs), I will look into buying another machine
Old 07-07-2020, 05:02 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

You'll be good with the 1.7kw spindle. You would have been really unhappy with the 1.0kw spindle. wink, wink...nod, nod...

And yea, that budget thing always gets in the way of the fun!

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA
bvww.etsy.com