CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 12:51 PM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

A few words from the "cheap seats" regarding these spindles. There are a few US resellers of "genuine Italian made HSD spindles" and most of them are similarity priced to CAMasters replacement unit pricing.

They are NOT the same as the Chinese clones, usually branded HQD and often have "HSD" or "Italian HSD" in the online model number. There are even cheaper Chinese clones of the cheap Chinese clones.

It appears that this thread was started as a result as a result of a sub $20 bearing failure in a 3 phase motor that may have experienced hard or long use. This part failure is the cost of doing business, electromechanical parts do fail or wear out, which I assume to be normal. Depending on how hard they are used (% of power output), some spindles will need replacement every couple of years.

Most of these products have a lifespan that is proportional to their pricing. Do your homework, and buyer beware.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 08-20-2019, 01:34 PM
CAMhead Friend

I don't disagree in principle with anything you are saying, however my experience with HSD pricing is apparently different than yours. There are at least two online suppliers of genuine HSD spindles for a good chunk less than from Camaster, including one vendor with some ties to Camaster itself. You may be right that Camaster marks the spindle up a similar amount to other router vendors - I have no idea.

I have actually tried to find a Chinese HSD clone that is bolt-compatible with the real McCoy, and I haven't found one. There are some with similar specs, but none that have the same mounting profile or connector that I've found.

I'm not dissatisfied with my machine or with Camaster in general - as I posted above, I've had good service from them already. One way or another I will get a working spindle and get busy cutting stuff.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:16 PM
CAMhead Friend

Concerning the $5.00 dollar bearing you need to make sure it's the same ABEC
rating and type. I've run a motor shop for 40+ years and you don't want to put
a C3 fit bearing in a spindle. A lot of precision motors that are on VFD's have ceramic balls or coatings on the outer shell to protect them from the eddy currents that VFD's sometimes cause.

Stinger SR23, 1.7KW
Storm Vacuum, performance
package, Epilog Helix
Aspire 8.5, coral draw 7
Old 08-20-2019, 03:35 PM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks - I will forward your concern on to my bearing supplier.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:13 PM
CAMhead Friend

Following up on this - I dug into the spindle again and replaced the bearing. Definitely less vibration now. I also did research on the bearing - apparently itís a stock NSK 6002VV - there arenít multiple versions of this part. Cost was less than $10 plus shipping.

I retrammed the router and surfaced my spoil board and it looks good and sounds pretty good.

Expensive bullet dodged at least for a while.