CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

Old 10-16-2019, 07:59 AM
Stinger II Owner

I meant you could use the keyboard arrows to move it near the zero points, then initialize. Changing the park is another good way.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:05 AM
CAMaster Owner

This is obvious, but you can "park" your machine anywhere, but the "PARK" button on the control screen may be set to a specific location way away from machine X0Y0 and does take a while for it to initialize. When I'm done cutting, I get into the habit of jogging the head to about X12Y12 and place a piece of thin foam under the spindle and manually jog the head down to touch the foam. Then I cut the machine off. My warm up/initialization process only takes a minute or two from there when I fire the machine up the next time.

I don't think I would want it to move any faster just in case one of the sensors failed. When you got lots of steel moving fairly quickly the stopping process is a bit more brutal when something goes awry.
WinCNC
VcarvePro 8 & 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum
Old 10-16-2019, 10:25 AM
CAMhead owner

Default Router

I have my "Park" position set at the back of my table and out of the way. This is where it goes after a job is completed and I need to remove the job from the table. I have set my "Router Home" button to be very close to the Initialize location. So when I start the machine I can click the Router Home button and the gantry will move to the front of the table very quickly. Then hit Initialize and the machine is ready for the day. Takes less than 2 minutes!
FTC, Laser
1.7KW spindle
VCarve Pro 8.5
Aspire 10
Windows 10
www.wellsguitars.com
www.baystateguitars.com
Old 10-16-2019, 12:03 PM
CAMaster Owner

sylvan's method is a good one because it preserves "Park" for "way out of the way" while still permitting the Initialize routine to only have short travel to do what it does...which is to test Z, X and Y limits so the machine knows where everything is.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 10-16-2019, 01:40 PM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

Moving an axis with servos (at a slower prudent rate) should not cause damage. Can't say the same for steppers.

Some machines, those without red text in the axis position window, will move prior to being initialized. Others will not.

The best solution for those machines that will not move with jog arrows or keypad prior to being initialized is to park the machine closer to the machine home. That said the homing rates can be changed via the INI settings and the manual shows which settings.

That said, since I have been in the building, and have worked with the tech team to develop those settings, and since I have SURELY seen the damage when a fast machine drives past a bad switch or loose wire, I will not point out the exact settings.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 10-17-2019, 08:25 PM
CAMaster Owner

I park at the opposite of home as well. I just fast arrow down close to home and initialize. So poor boy for me.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 10-18-2019, 12:13 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The real JP View Post
I park at the opposite of home as well. I just fast arrow down close to home and initialize. So poor boy for me.
Same here. I park my gantry at the far end of the machine bed at the end of the work day.. And turn eveything off and unplug all cords. Then when I am ready to start up the CNC, I will jog the gantry to about 5 inches of the bottom left, where my home position is and initialize the X,Y and Z positions.
Corel X8 Autosketch 9 Aspire 9.5

"The escalator to sucsess is out of order.... you will need to take the stairs."
Old 11-05-2019, 05:15 PM
CAMhead Legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Steve Lynch

Okay,
I got my little dilemma sorted out. It is in the manual around page 47.. I just couldn't find mine... I forgot I had put all relevant documentation in a PVC tube magneted to the bottom of the table.. Doh! It's the G28 settings. Mine was set at 20 ipm... that's ridiculous! I was able to change it, and all is happy in Steve land now.

I'm not recommending you go changing everything in your .ini file.. When you start playing, it's "At Your Own Risk".

On My .ini, the G28 settings header starts at line 81.

These dark Orange variables are the editable fields for the G28 section.

g28move=z-.25 f40 *****No reason to edit this. Leave it slow, unless of course you enjoy slamming your spindle into the table, in which case, Crank er' up!*****

g28move=x4.763 y0.397 f20 *****This "F Value" is the speed. I was told specifically by "Those who assemble these machines" that anything under and up to 500 is safe with the end stop switches, though for "Damage Control" reasons mentioned in earlier portions of this thread, I would not speed it up too much, in case there was ever some sort of failure.******

g28altmove=y -.001 *****This value is for the Dual Y axis squaring move...You should not under any circumstances touch this*****

If you're not comfortable with completely re-doing your .ini file, I'd copy and paste an emergency backup copy, and call it wincncGood.ini or something like that, in case you fat finger something, and can't put it back the way it was.

Lastly, I spoke to Teknic, the servo drive manufacturer. They stated that while it's not good practice to move them manually, it really will not hurt them, and people do it all the time. So that answers the Servo question. Steppers regenerate a good deal of power, so that's a no-no on moving them manually,as you could back feed power to your board, and that's like.. well, not good!

Enjoy!
And A Nice Clear Lexan Magnetic Dust Boot To Finish It Off.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:14 PM
CAMaster Owner

What did you change that value to? 'Just curious...

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com