CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > CAMaster's PR-Series Plasma Router

Old 07-27-2011, 10:53 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Z-motor

Joey & crew ........ I just broke another shaft on my Z-axis motor, exactly where the first one broke, except a cleaner break. It seems odd that I keep breaking these .... could there be something I'm doing wrong? I can't imagine that I'm working it too hard ...... I don't think I've ever even cut hardwood on her ..... White Pine, Cedar, Corafoam & an oval out of 6mm DiBond once. Plus. I really don't use it a lot.

This motor was different from the first one, so it can't be just a bad batch.
Glen thought maybe that things might not be lined up properly & putting stress on it. I have no idea if that could be or not.

Anyway, I had another one in stock, so I was only down about 3 hours. It messed up a $600 sheet of CoraFoam pretty bad though but I think I can repair it.

The new motor "sounds" different from the other one ....... much quieter & it has that nice whine to it. This one sounds like the original did.
Glen also mentioned that another manufacturer uses much more expensive motors ....... to the tune of about $300. Are there higher quality motors out there (stepper) or are they just making some good profits? I'd rather buy a $300 motor than waste an expensive board.
Should I just get a case of them?

Joey, Jim, somebody ........ please move this ....... I got it in the wrong sub-forum.
Thanks
TR
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3

Last edited by T.R.MacMunn; 07-27-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: wrong place
Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Administrator

TR I will be under the knife in the am. Please give Paul a ring at the shop. We have got some new motors in with a 3/8" shaft. We should be able to get a coupler to you as well. The 1/4" have broke 6 - 8 now out of the 100's we have out. But we wanted to beef it up with the larger shaft. Get with the guys and they will hook you up.

US Router Tools
888-720-TOOL (8665)
www.usroutertools.com
Old 07-28-2011, 01:45 AM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks Joey
I probably won't call for a couple of weeks or more. Calgary bound......

I think I've saved the sheet .....the shaft broke just before it was to make a quick move to the other side of the board. It left a perfect channel, 3/4" deep by 1/4" wide in one very fast pass. The different sound is what caught my attention.
I just ripped a piece to fit & glued it on the bottom only because I'm sandblastingthe area where it is & I don't want a glue line there. I'll just add some extra hi-build primer in there & "poof"...... good as new.

Good luck with the slicin' & dicin'
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 07-28-2011, 04:49 AM
CAMaster Cobra Owner (MOD, KOTR)

Could it be that it was installed with too much tension on the belt
Mick
Digitize Touch Probe
Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
Hurricane vacuum
WinCNC + Aspire 9.5 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
www.customarchitecturalsignage.com
www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 AM
CAMaster Owner

Hey Mick,

I'm not sure how the stinger is set up but my MC which is what TR has if I'm not mistaken doesn't have a belt on the Z, it's a direct connect. The stepping motor connects directly to the shaft on the Z through a coupler.

TR- where did the shaft break, and how hard was it to replace?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 07-28-2011, 11:56 AM
CAMaster Owner

Mark is correct ........ direct drive.
On both of these motors, the shaft has snapped almost flush with where the shaft exits the motor.
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 07-28-2011, 12:41 PM
CAMaster Owner

TR,

I had a little movement in my Z and was trying to adjust it out. I tightened everything that CAMaster told me to do and also loosened the 2 bolts the shaft sets in at the bottom and moved that up on the shaft. I think I got all the movement out so I'm going to run it today and see how it performs. When you try to get any movement in the Z by shaking the router is yours ready tight? If you changed the Z shaft you must of had to do the adjustments. My Z shaft hasn't broken so I hope that by tightening things up a bit it doesn't put more stress on the shaft.

I've spent the last couple days adjusting the X and Y axis as well (changed the X axis belt), took pictures and I think I've learned quite a bit about how that all works.

I've been trying to do the V-Inlay that a lot of the Aspire guys are doing and the machine has to be really accurate to make all the necessary cuts. Will run my final test today and get it glued up and see how it comes out tomorrow.

Good luck with your machine.
Mark