CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger III

Old 11-10-2019, 06:26 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Y axis "rattle"

After greasing the Y rails, I "jogged" the machine around and heard some noise from the one Y axis. The noise only seemed to occur when moving in one direction. After taking off the black motor and gear housing/protection, it looks like the gear (transmission?) is not sitting as it should be:

I loosened the 4 screws for the motor and am able to pull the gear/transmission and hold it with my hand where I think it should be:

The hand holding the gear is where it should be, correct? (or at least closer to where it should be)

Before taking any more actions, I wanted to take the safe route and ask here first on what should be done.

It looks like there may have been some abuse here:

I am the second owner of this machine and would appreciate any help on how to adjust things appropriately and get this machine back to its optimal operation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191110_163750.jpg (95.9 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 20191110_163801.jpg (94.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 20191110_163922.jpg (89.9 KB, 128 views)
Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 PM
CAMhead Friend

Took the gear assembly off. Loosened the set screws on transmission and gear, pushed them both in closer to each other on the shaft, re-tightened set screws and noise is now gone. Hopefully that solved the issue until next maintenance cycle.

The gear looked like it could be replaced. Guess I should figure out how to take it off eventually.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:26 PM
CAMaster Owner

Interestingly, today was "Stinger maintenance day" in my shop and just for grins, I pulled off the covers over my Y axis so I could see more directly what you had been working on. It wasn't just on a whim as I had a stall and some wonky cuts recently so taking a look, particularly on the right side made sense. The left side was perfect, but the right...way loose on the belt. I'm thinking it may have been that way all along as I had the loose belt thing on the X axis motor early on after delivery, or it could have gotten jared when I had the stall a few weeks ago. (which was totally my fault for not measuring properly when surfacing a slab)

So I thank you for the idea to check them!!

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 11-12-2019, 09:58 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
Interestingly, today was "Stinger maintenance day" in my shop and just for grins, I pulled off the covers over my Y axis so I could see more directly what you had been working on. It wasn't just on a whim as I had a stall and some wonky cuts recently so taking a look, particularly on the right side made sense. The left side was perfect, but the right...way loose on the belt. I'm thinking it may have been that way all along as I had the loose belt thing on the X axis motor early on after delivery, or it could have gotten jared when I had the stall a few weeks ago. (which was totally my fault for not measuring properly when surfacing a slab)

So I thank you for the idea to check them!!
The other y axis motor assembly on my machine was tight without issue as well.

Glad you were able to get your belt tightened up!

Edit:
Just realized you are a fellow commonwealther over in Bucks. Hello from Montgomery County. Hope retirement is treating you well

Last edited by klipsch; 11-12-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:03 AM
CAMaster Owner

Ah...neighbors. :) Yes, in Bucks...outside of Doylestown in Buckingham. New Hope mailing address.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com